Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dilemma here - need the CK5 guys/gals input - upsize to a Suburban????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jul 26, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Wow, I've probably blown some minds, as well as my own. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Love my Blazer. It is built exactly as I want it to be. For those who don't know the history of the truck, here's the basics -

-TPI406 motor with less than 5K miles on it.
    -All new from the frame down suspension - 4" TC HD springs, extended ORD shackles, all ORD greasable bolts/poly bushings
    -Dana 60 completely rebuilt 3K miles ago with Detroit Locker and Warn Premium hubs
    -14BFF completely rebuilt 3K miles ago by Wes (thatK30guy) with all new everything
    -Completely redone interior with in-dash tach, new dash pad, Flofit seats, new carpet/padding, custom side panels housing 10" MTX speakers, map light, Camaro steering wheel, etc.
    -New in the past year - 4 core radiator and all hoses, starter, master cylinder, T350 HD rebuild, u-joints, IROC fan motor, 2.5" exhaust from headers back with Catco high flow cats and Flowmaster 40's (sounds niiiiiiiiiiice).
    -Relocated shock mounts front and back with Rancho 9012's all the way around.
    -ORD Crossover steering with AGR box.
    -Warn M12000 winch with Warn Classic bumper.
    -Plenty more small stuff.

So what's the problem? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

1. I don't have the free time to use it as it is built. My priorities are to my family, and will remain so. I coach soccer for my daughter, help out on softball, and whatever free time we have we do a LOT of camping. And I like it this way. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Should I have considered this size thing two years ago? Maybe. Water under the bridge now.
    2. Not enough room to use the Blazer for camping. Two kids (with sometimes friends along), a big dog (named Chevy!) pulling a tent trailer and canoe just does not work with the K5. So we use my wife's new AWD Safari van...........but I'd rather not use it for camping. Pulls a tent trailer OK but not like a person used to stump pulling torque (like my Blazer has) is used to.

Solution? Suburban ! Still has the Chevy component, is basically a stretched Blazer, can still be wheeled when set up right, and has all the room I'd ever need. Of course, it would have to be a pre-92 with solid axles and 3/4 ton, and preferably with a 454.

Value of the Blazer - tough one. After reading the 'Trucks' TV Blazer info, if I take my time, it should sell for $12K. Parting it out I valued the trick parts alone at over $10K (and that was 'garage sale' pricing levels). If I decide to do this I am in no hurry, as I have an '89 S15 Jimmy to drive whether I part it out or keep it whole for sale.

Am I nuts? (never mind, don't answer that /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif )

Opinions? Feedback? Anyone want it?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So buy a stock Sub and swap the drivetrain into it. Then part out the rest like the tub and body parts. You've already bought all the bomb-proof stuff...plus you have another vehicle to drive during the swap-over.

Rene

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn frank dont do it /forums/images/icons/frown.gif you will regret it why not just pick up a cheep 2 wheel drive blazer for camping that has a 454 in it? do you need 4x4 for camping?

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    That is actually a really good idea. You could throw the drivetrain you took out of the burban back under your blazer and probably sell it for whatever you paid for the burban, the blazer you have appears to be pretty clean.

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shannon, I assume you mean a 'cheap 2WD Suburban' (instead of Blazer as you wrote). Motor power is obviously not the issue, it is space for kids, kids friends, dog, camping gear, etc. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes you are right i am in so much shock that i had blazer on my mind lol but why not keep the blazer and get a cheep 2wheel drive SUBURBAN to use for camping?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That is actually a really good idea. You could throw the drivetrain you took out of the burban back under your blazer and probably sell it for whatever you paid for the burban, the blazer you have appears to be pretty clean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a better idea...the Blazer with a stock half ton drivetrain and running would sell easily for a decent dollar because the body and interior are in nice shape. Frank could literally upgrade to a one ton 'Burb on 36"s and all the good parts for the cost of some elbow grease.

Rene

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Frank, here is my opinion for what it is worth. My wife and I are going through the exact same dilema. Here is what we have decided. While my blazer isn't set up as kick @ss as yours, I still love it (that whole removable top thing!). We have decided to keep my blazer and buy a sub when we can. We will be buying a '91 or older 3/4 ton too. Since the sub will be seeing light duty 'cept when we pull a trailer camping or something, I'm going to swap the 3/4 ton axles to the blazer and put my 1/2 ton stuff (4" lift and all)under the sub. I'll get a 6" lift for the blazer. Right now, my blazer costs me nothing to sit in the driveway/garage other than an extra $15 a month for insurance. I say keep it and park it if you can and buy the sub you are looking for. You have so much time, money, and effort into building exactly what you wanted, that you'll kick yourself for the next 10 years for selling it. Also, you can pick up a very nice stock 3/4 ton sub for $5000 or less. If you can keep it and have your part time play toy parked in the garage, and buy the sub for the everyday stuff. Lose the van.....nobody ever say look at that cool van man! I wish I had me one of those! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif A LOT of people say check out the trick blazer! That's KICK ASS! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif How can you disappoint the American people like that?! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Oh, yeah...yer nuts for even thinking about it!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

All excellent points and opinions. That's exactly why I asked you guys! Hadn't thought much about doing the swapover routine from my Blazer to a Burb...........hmm. That wouldn't be that hard to do. Probably only need to do the front axle, crossover/steering box, winch bumper and winch. Don't 3/4 ton Burbs have 14BFF rear ends in the pre-91 time frame? Maybe swap the Detroit out of the Blazer. Anyway, good food for thought...........don't think I'll keep both a nice Burb and the Blazer tho.

By the way, the wife loves the van, it's hers and is actually a great vehicle. Yeah, it isn't cool, but when you're an old fart like me that isn't as high a priority as when you're younger. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Plus it is brand new, gets great gas mileage and is plush

Keep ideas/comments/insults coming. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    nobody ever say look at that cool van man!

[/ QUOTE ] Actually, folks used to say that all the time about my van. But it was a 7-foot-tall, 4WD Dodge 1-ton short wheelbase van. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Not the sort of thing to drive if you get stage fright. People would stare and point all the time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Frank, buy the Sub! My K5 isn't nearly as pretty as yours, so I got a Sub to use as a daily driver, tow rig, etc. The first thing you have to get used to in a Sub is that you feel like you're driving a house! Once you get used to that, then it's a blast. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You'd have to buy an '80 or older 3/4 ton Sub to get a 14 bolt full floater. They switched to the semi floater in 1981.

12. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Was in a similar situation about 4 years ago. Had my Binder set to rock in the Colorado hills, but seemed to be a seat belt or 4 short for the (then) G/F's kids. Found a USED (but not USED UP 91) 1/2 ton after looking for a SOLID USED 3/4 ton...but had to get it outta San Antonio, TX.
    Now, a new tranny later (GM 700R4/$1700), 14FF (from an 80/$100-end plus 16" tires &amp; rims plus some brake parts) and a 4 row radiator ($135 from Radiator.com)... it fit's the bill nicely. Also added the rear disc.
    Kept the Binder (one of the 3 anyways)... but sure have grown to love the burb! Can't wheel with them here in Wisconsin like we did in Colo, but that's a different thread.
    I'd recommend start hunting a good burb &amp; keep the Blazer. Harry said it best. Once you get used to driving a house, everything else is just a lawn chair.

13. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Keep the Blazer, buy a Burb.

Blazer is great when it's just you and the wife, or when you need to move some stuff or tow a small boat or just take the dog out someplace.

The Burb is handy when it's you and twelve friends, or 2/3 of your daughter's soccer team (coaches, eqpt and the rest of the team in the coach's Burb, been there got the t-shirt LOL!) or when you need to move a LOT of stuff or tow something big.

Note that solid-axle (pre-'92) Burbs only came with big blocks in 2WD; 4WD trucks only came with small blocks ;-(

However, even with "just" a TBI small block and the semifloater 14-bolt, my 3/4 ton (a 1990) is a beast, and has done everything I've asked of it, and still fits into normal parking places (well, almost ;-)

If you have the cabbage to do it and a place to park it, have the best of both worlds. I kept my Blazer 'cuz it's a full convertible (1974), can't compare it to the Burb for that reason alone if not other. It is nice to have a truck for every purpose (if not a purpose for every truck, much to my wife's chagrin! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

-- A

14. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i get bummed every time i see the blue beast driving around town- without me in it! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif damn it! still kick myself. even if i wasn't using it as a wheeler like i wanted to i still liked looking out in the driveway and seeing it there. do what YOU need to but you will miss it when it's gone /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

buy a burb and do the swap.
    just let me do the crossmember BEFORE you route new exhaust,LOL.

for an axle swap all you have to do is remove 8 bolts(spring eyes) 3 brakelines, 6 bolts to drop the steering box( 4 on frame and 2 on the rag joint) and then your shocks. presto chango to the burb frame and vise versa, voila a bad @ss 1 ton burb. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

and since you have the little Jimmy no need to rush through it.

if you need a big block there is one here in Eugene at the the pick and pull on the crate tested and ready to go with the computer for $1200..tempting I know.. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Jeremy

16. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Hind site is 20/20 Frank. As K5 lovers we know we are less than 10 percent of the vast majority...so you would have to find one of us that would be willing to fork over that kind of cash to buy her...the other 90 percent see just a 79 K5...that isn't worth the 12k price tag in their opinion...on the other hand the 10 percent club would drool at the prospect...but reality would set in ...ie: bills..kids..etc..and since we are all workin stiffs...we ain't got that much coin. Plus we all know after all those hard hours of labor and money spent to get it where we want it....we never end up gettin what we want out of it....sad but true...then there is the 20/20 thing...6 months after the sale...you'll be kicken yourself.

So either find a Chalet insert for her...still not the room of a burb...but if your family unit = 3 there is plenty of room in her for weekend trips. Or...save some coin and buy a burb like Aaron did....you'll have the best of both worlds. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

My 02 worth....course our next purchase will be a v20 burb for or new family /forums/images/icons/cool.gif ...tired of that damn Honda! So we'll have the 79 for my daily driver...after the BB02 i think her hardcore days are over...she is getting refined...but still able to handle nasty 100 year old mining trails and the fishing trips....the chalet is for campin and road trippin only...and serves as a back up to the 79 if she needs to be put down for a while for maint. The burb will be the family rig...aka Mom's hauler...and someday i will buy yet another K5 to be built for the trails only...so damage and trail carnage is a no worry!

Azblazer <font color="purple"> </font color>

17. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah it's a hard call. I'm in the middle of a simular situation. We have 2 kids and Four 2door vehicles including 2 K5's. My 75 is a weekend toy. I drive a Toyota Supra durring the week to work. 22mpg, A/C, Targa top for when it's nice, Pretty decent Stereo. Fun as can be on a twisty road.
    My wifes daily driver is a 79 K5. The only thing mechanicaly it needs is the drive shafts rebuilt and some spring bushings. It has a Crate enigine with less than 20k on it. Tranny was Rebuilt about 20k, Gone through the transfer case. Rebuilt the front axle with new tie rods, ball and u-joints. Need to install some front spring bushings. It's LOADED. A/C power windows Cruise, 3.73 gears factory, LS. It needs 33's since it lacks OD.
    Problem is it needs a paint job some body work, The door pannels are shot and the inside is this hidious Late 70's Disco theme. Wife loves the truck but reality is we need a 4 door family vehicle. I want to replace it with a late 80's Burb that would be capable of moving my 75. SHe wants a car like a Camry. I'll lose my butt selling the 79 because of the cosmetic issues. I have about $7.5 k in it after owning it almost 6 years. I'll be lucky to sell it for $3,500. We are tossing around Ideas.
    One that came up last night was to convert the 79 into a 2wd prerunner with a OD tranny so it would get around 18 hwy and use it as my daily driver. Trade my Supra on a 4 door car for her.
    #2 See if by some slim chance we can get over 4k for the 79 and buy her a car and keep the Supra.
    #3 Sell both the supra and the 79 and get a 2wd 3/4ton 90's extended cab chevy to replace the Supra and get her a car.
    #4 Sell my classic 70 Pontiac Lemans Convertable that has become a garage hog and I haven't turned a wrench on in 4 years, Build out the 79 as a pre runner with the cash, Sell Supra and buy car.
    #5 Sell Pontiac buy extended cab truck, sell supra buy Car. Sell 79.
    I hate it because option 5 makes the most sense but I'm getting rid of Pontiac that I have owned for 11 years and I'm the second owner. Numbers matching care with a vary rare options list. Getting rid of the 79 that I have put a lot of work in. Supra ehhhh it's a fun car but I don't feel I would miss it as much. It tends to bring out the idiot in me when I drive it. Comming into the street that leads to my Neighbor hood it has become common place to Be heal toe double clutch down shifts from 4th down to second and putting the car into a drift. Darn fun put painfully stupid of me. Option 5 does get us into the types of Vehicles we really need and down to 3 freeing up the garge for tinkering on the 75.
    I feel you pain buddy. I'm in the same boat.