Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dilemma, what to do next

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Dec 2, 2002.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

what to do next? i do want to go with 44/60 combo front and rear, and i want a new motor. but those are all cash dependant. what are there out there for "cheap tricks" and other stuff?
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

A 14 bolt FF or SF may be cheaper to buy than the rear 60.. And if you are swapping out a 10 bolt for the 44, there really is no point as they are both close to equal in strength. Only reason to swap a 44 for a 10 or vise versa is if one has the gears you wanna run already in it.

Save up for the motor and pick up a cheap 14FF or SF(if you wanna keep your 6 lug bolt pattern)...

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey the one (big) benifit of being a K5 fan here in New England: D60/14FF combos are realitively common and cheap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif All that rust takes alot of K30's off the road for us to part-out /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you realy want to do the 3/4 ton set up w/ a D60 rear look in Ford or Dodge trucks for the rear. Keeping the front you have now and modding it would make things simple. As far as cheep goes M880s are good donors (5/4 ton Dodge, but you know that already). In addation if you use the D44 from the front the gears will match. If you want to be part-time you will need to add Chevy outers to the D44. I am thinking about doing a 10B/D60 combo on the '73, but that all depends on what kind of parts I come up with for cheep.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    All that rust takes alot of K30's off the road for us to part-out

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck trying to get a 60/14 combo from me because all the K30's I've seen and owned were rust free trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

dude, I live in maine. this is the rust belt. the only parts you can find in yards up here are diffs, any body panels are gaurenteed rusted beyond use.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif