Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dim Headlights

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AzzKicker, Mar 3, 2003.

1. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Whats a cause of dim headlights. My lights are pretty clean and before I spend money on headlights I want to make sure its not the Alternator.

Althoughf or Some Odd reason if I'm driving down teh road, my volt meter shows between 14-16volts. mostly 14.

You think my Alternator is bad. If so, how much do they run for a 6.2J code engine.

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

GM used very small gauge wire for the headlight, if you got the time and inclination i would replace the wires with 10 gauge and install relays. that will probally take care of your dim bulbs.

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Also check the body ground! Make sure is is tight and clean. Follow the ground wire from the passanger headlight to the body. Usually a rather rusty spot. If you can check with an ohm meter.

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I second <font color="blue">rugger03 </font> The wires are hopelessly underdimensioned (word?)..friend of mine did this, got instant results by using a rele instead of running all the power thru the switch on your dash...

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I second <font color="blue">rugger03 </font> The wires are hopelessly underdimensioned (word?)..friend of mine did this, got instant results by using a rele instead of running all the power thru the switch on your dash...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do that to all my cars now.
    It's a trick I learned from all european cars.
    smaller switches better lights.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Where do I go to get a rele, is there a certain part etc. Where can I find wiring diagrams.