Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dimmer switch sun tach install question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Sep 22, 2002.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm in the process of installing a Sun tach. When it came time to wire up the white wire from the tach in w/ the dimmer switch (so the lights in the tach would dim w/ the rest of the lights) I cut the light blue wire coming out the back of the dimmer and wired in the white wire w/ a splitter. <font color="red"> Did I get the right wire? </font color> That seems to be what Chilton's and Haynes were saying in their wiring diagrams.

Sorry, I couldn't test it b/c I have an aftermarket distributor (Delco Ramy) and I don't have the connector that goes it to it (on order from Napa).

2. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

When I hooked mine up I just spliced into the pos. wire that goes to the AC/Heater control light.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I always cheat, just hook it up to a switchable power sorce so it on when ever the vichile is on. It doesn't dim, but it's lit up.

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

On your fuse block there should be a terminal that is labled panel lights, just put a female spade terminal on the tach wire and plug it in.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Grab the factory radio harness. There is a wire on the dimmer circuit in it. That's where I have spliced on for both my tach and tranny temp gage light. I think it's brown. Put a test light to it and dim the lights would be the easy test to make sure you got the right one. There is also a switch power in the same harness.