Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIN size 87 Blazer

Discussion in 'Audio' started by taterblazer, Nov 22, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

What is the DIN size on an 87 Blazer cassette deck opening? Will the Pioneer or the Jensen DIN 1-1/2 fit in this opening without modification? Thanks for any info!

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You have to cut the dash to fit a din size cd player in if you have the small cassette deck. If you have the big cassete deck w/eq. and all then you can use a din and a half or double din.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

DD is right about everything except the double DIN part...that will not fit. Those are made for mostly foreign cars that have a true double DIN opening. Your '87 is pretty much a DIN only truck...unless you want to do a lot of cutting/mods. The later K5's could use either a DIN or DIN and 1/2.
    Since yours is an '87, you'll have to cut the dash if its stock. Either 88-91 or 89-91 are the only years where they put a DIN and 1/2 radio in the dash. Those were nice because all you had to do was remove the dash, pull the old radio and use a regular GM dash kit (Metra 99-4500) for example to fit a DIN radio.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. DesertDueler

Well thats why I said you need to cut to fit a double din. THey fit but its really close.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks gang for the info and it's actually for my dad's Chevy truck. I think I've got him pretty much convinced to just hang it under the dash. He's not keen on tearing everything apart and going to town with the dremel tool. Now for my project..

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Have you ever really mounted a double DIN in a Blazer? There is no good way to do it without major modification. Let me explain why. In an early Blazer you can cut the dash and slide the can through the hole to mount the DIN sized radio. How exactly do you plan on mounting a DIN and a half or double DIN radio in a Blazer like that? Those bigger radios don't use cans. The DIN 1/2 units supply you with brackets to mount to the sides so you can mount it like the stock radio was...like in a Dodge/Chrysler with the 2 10mm bolts or like the last few years of the K5 until 1991 when they had the DIN 1/2 radio it had brackets on the stock radio you could take off and put on the new DIN 1/2 radio to mount it the same way.
    The double DIN was never intended to fit in a Blazer. I've installed dozens of double DIN radios and I think all of them were installed with the factory ISO-mount brackets off of the stock radio...and bolted into the car. There is no can, and of course the Blazers never had ISO-mount radios, so how would you professionally mount the radio in a K5 dash? I don't dispute the fact that it could physically fit in the dash, but I can't imagine having it look good, or be solidly mounted without a massive amount of work.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. DesertDueler

Your rigth it doesnt look good or mount easily. I have seen it done on two truck one k5 and one in a 77 c10. They were done by the audio shop rigth next to my work. I have no idea why they wanted them in there but the put it in there for them.