Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dinkey trail or other west sierra fishing & 4x4

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by chev4life, Feb 27, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a good 4x4 trail/fishing area in the western sierras...I have heard of dinkey creek anyone done it...difficult? Any others? Dont want it too difficult...really looking for something away from crowds that has good fishing and camping. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

try this post in the new camping and fishing forum /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i am in Napa and am looking for the same thing. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. chevyman562

chevyman562 Registered Member

There are some trails up HWY 4 in the sierra's. Bear Trap Basin is located off either 7N09 or Bear Valley Rd. Deer Valley Trail is located east of Bear Valley. From Hwy 4, it takes to into the Blue Lakes area. Deer Valley Trail can be a tight squeeze for a full-size truck. My friend drug the entire passanger side of his fullsize Bronco against a tree there.

4. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

dinkey creek is just north of fresno about an hour. there are numerous trails in the area ranging from easy to difficult. there is great fishing at all the lakes near the trails. dusy ersham trail is up a little higher in elevation and can be quite challenging to say the least at 33 miles long. i would suggest planning a several day adventure and stop at the ranger station in PRATHER. they'll have lots of maps and info.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

There isn't a "Dinkey Creek Trail." Swamp Lakes Trail is a challenging 1-2 day trail with a lake or two on it. If any of your group is short on gearing a vehicle with a winch may be required to get up Rooster Rock. Dusy-Ershim is much longer and a little tougher (or used to be). Many years ago some friends in 'glas Dune Buggys ran it in about 10 hours of hell. In a 4x I'd call it minimum of 2 days and consider taking 3. Plan on it being very much like the Rubicon for your prep. There are a couple lakes up there, but not having been over it I can't give specifics.
    Once you have a map I'd look at Red Mtn, Strawberry, and Brewer Lakes for day trips. Bald Mtn is another good day trip.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Did you ever get up there? I did Swamp in Augest, broke a bunch of stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    both rear shackles and both rear leaf springs:doah: All due in part to not having clamps on the springs:(
    If you didnt get a chance to go put it at the top of the list for next year, very fun trail.