Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dinkey trail? Other western Sierra fishing areas w/4x4

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by chev4life, Feb 28, 2004.

1. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

I am looking for a good 4x4 trail/fishing area in the western sierras...I have heard of dinkey creek anyone done it...difficult? Any others? Dont want it too difficult...really looking for something away from crowds that has good fishing and camping.

2. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Dinkey creek is a public campground not a trail.There is fishing there ,but no wheeling.Although there are some really good trails in the area to wheel;Swamp lake,Coyote Lake,Dusy/Ershim,Bald Moutain.Most of the trails are not for stock rigs.i would say a fullsize should have at least 4"of lift, 35"tires and at least one locker.Oh yeah plenty of body armour like sliders.If you think you want to trty one of these trails PM me this spring/summer my friends and I are up there about twice a month.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

once i feel confidence in all the mechanicals of my k5 my plan is to hit the sierra's, find a trail, take the trail to a pristine stream-pond-lake back up and cast my bait while sitting on the tailgate.......such a nice dream. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Yeah that is what I was worried about, dont know if I want to risk body damage, but other than that I will be ready for something like that. I guess I need to break out some forestry maps and such and try to find me some trails and rivers.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

A good place I used to go was the Henness Pass Road. It is located off of highway 89. North of Truckee Cal bout 25 miles. It is a good dirt and paved road that Starts in Nevada goes west clear across the Sierras and comes out on highway 49.

Here's a Map:Henness pass road
    The road is labled S450 on the map. Zoom in on S450 for more detail. I think it is also called Route 07

The road itself is a good road but there are a lot of 4x4 only roads that intersecct it. That go from mild to wild.
    I used to gold mine up in that country. There is a lot of explorering Old mining sites towns ect to do. The fishing is good and lots of Lakes, rivers, creeks,and places to camp. There are small resorts at some of the bigger lakes like Jackson Meadows along the way where you can get gas and supplys. Beautiful country. Have fun.

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Let me know when you guys go do Swamp or Dusey I will go too.

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Ever been up thru Humbug Valley? North of there a bit further. S by S-E of Lake Almanour, can also hit it from Hwy 70 in the Feather River Gorge. The whole area in btwn these two is riddled with good roads/trails.

I'd vote for a trip into Strawberry Lake as the first go-round.