Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dinner formalities

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 13, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Who has sit down formal type family dinners?

I was raised with kind of old fashioned values and stuff, but one thing I never really did like was formal type eating. When I eat, I go off and eat on my own.

When you really think about dinner conversation and all the talking... whats the point of doing that at dinner? Makes it hard to eat and talk at the same time. Seems logically, you should stuff your face at a separate time than "conversation hour". Maybe for me it's just I dont like people watching me eat. And I tend to eat when I'm hungry, not when dinner is scheduled.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You mean like the "Cleavers"??--no thanks!!

We stopped having meals together at the kitchen table when I was still pretty young,I'd say about 12 years old..I never liked sitting at the table either,with everyone watching you eat,and quite often the discussions at the table would give me indegestion,or make me lose my appetite..nothing worse than getting your butt reamed for something you did that day,by your parents at the dinner table!..

I never liked eating in the cafeteria at school either..I also like eating when I'm hungry,not at specific times of the day..

Once TV became the main attraction,we usually took our food (tv dinners much of the time!) out into the living room,and ate on "tv trays" or "card tables"..and the kitchen table started to gather dust,or was used for my mothers craft projects instead of meals..since my older brother and sister worked as they got older,or had after school activites,it was a bit difficult or impossible for all of us to sit and eat at the same time,and my mom soon tired of cooking 3 times for the same meal as they came home,or having to put it in the fridge and re-heat it--or worse,toss it out,because they ate elsewhere!

I'd never be able to sit at the table now with my mom or siblings and eat..too many arguments,( I never liked talking at the dinner table--if you say nothing they say "gee your quiet tonight--something wrong??--or if you do talk,they say "don't talk with your mouth full! :rolleyes: )
    and its too disgusting too--my mom belches,farts,and coughs constantly at the table--I guess when your 77,your manners don't matter anymore.. :rolleyes: and that "sucking your teeth" sound all old people make makes me nauseous too.. :doah:

I have to take my food out in the other room,or better yet,out in my shop,where I can eat in peace,without listening to her coughing up a lung--her emphasema makes her cough constantly,and she brings up a lot of phlem--quite disgusting,and she seems to do it the worst as soon as food touches my lips.. :doah: -not sure if thats done on purpose,but it sure seems that way.. :mad:

I no longer go to thanksgiving or xmas meals held at my nieces or other relatives houses due to this..plus the fact our entire "family" is so disfuntional,we can barely remain in the same room for more than an hour without some kind of hard feeling coming about..so I stay home,and enjoy the peace and quiet instead..

When my dad was dying of Parkinson's and stomach problems for the last 10 years of his life,he'd vomit quite often,and very loudly too..we'd never know when it would happen either..I still have nightmares of the sound of him retching,and each time my mom coughs,its like listening to him all over again..I can't even eat at a resturaunt if someone nearby starts coughing. now. I think I'm permanently scarred psycologically that way now..So I eat in my truck rather than inside at a fast food joint,and rarely ever go to a real resturaunt anymore..

I think having to eat wastes a lot of time too--I often eat a large breakfast,and skip lunch,especially now that it gets dark so early..I need that hour of daylight to get things done more than I need a meal really..sometimes I feel like I eat too much,amd too often--just beacuse I'm bored,and I can feel its not doing me any good.. :crazy:

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I think proper etiquette is important, I don't want my children to act like the heathens they really are, because then they won't be properly equipt in this focked up world to kill the peice o' sh!t plastic white collar conservative when they need to.... I mean ,,,,I like hamburgers...:whistle:

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

People, in general, need excuses to have real conversations, car rides, dinner, etc.

Real friends can talk about anything at any time

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like the whole sharing meals thing. It's nice sitting down at the table with other people and enjoying a meal. Spend a few years living alone, and you'll like sharing meals too.

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

when i was growing up we all sat at the dinner table and ate together, but everyone was pretty good about either keeping to the subject- eating. or keeping the conversation non-argumentative. and in restuarants i use the time before the food comes out as conversation time. scheduled eating doesnt bother me being that im always hungry..

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Wtf? I dont sit down to eat very often, and when I do its usually with my girlfriend, or back home with family.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

We have "sit down" meals, but it's mostly because I have small children. Back in school, I mostly ate at a bar or in the truck. I guess that I was sitting, but it wasn't what you would call "formal". :D

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I LIKE BACON:D

10. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

so very true, we have sit down dinner together 95% of the time. i think it is important, makes you take time out of ure day to have some face time ( well, makes me come in from the garage and wash up :doah: ). i also belive that is why my kids are so well behaved at the table, it is routine. so when we go uot to eat we can have a good time and not chase kids with a bat :D

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Growing up my family always sat at the table and ate breakfast and dinner. My parents taught us table manners which I am very thankful for. I'm amazed at how many people I eat with at dinner, or a business lunch that simply have no clue about proper etiquette. Now, even though it's only my wife, a 3 week old, and me, we all sit at the table to have dinner. In my opinion it also kind of sets a rule of authority in the home. I think this is especially important when children get a little older. Everyone just doing their own thing on their own schedule is not necessarily a good thing. Of course it goes much farther than just eating, but that's another story all together. Just my .02.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon. Think I'll have a BLT for lunch today.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

We don't always eat together because I usually get home too late from work. When I am home, either early or on weekends, we all eat together. It's my favorite time of the day next to bed time. The kids usually have fun and we all get to remember what each other look like, but occasionally it's like pulling teeth to get them to eat something. We talk about stuff all the time anyway, how's school, what did you do today, etc. while we're in the livign room, driving, playing, whatever. Dinner time is just a more family-focused bond time. Playing one on one with my son or daughter, or having an all-out Girls vs. boys tickle war before bed time is fun and good family bonding time, too, but not like dinner time.
    Dinner time, we're all together, facing each other. We can address a problem, decide on a new task or event, talk over or assign a chore, or just all laugh together. I hope when they're teenagers we all still eat together every chance we get, too. Right now, they like eating together.
    When I was growing up, we didn't have dinner together often, and my dad was such a hard-ass about everything that it usually was a chore just to be there.

We also have a weekly Ice Cream night. It's a garaunteed together-time night, so no matter how crazy or busy the week gets, we know we have that one night to look forward to that we'll all be together and everything else will matter less than each other. It used to be hard-line friday nights, but when the school year started, different stuff kept coming up, so now it's a floating weekend night. And the kids love it, we didn't have it until last night this weekend, and it was one of the first things my daughter asked me yesterday morning.

RJ, this is kind of a mish mosh of observations... Family is different than friends, and scowl at it or not, the average american daily week is busy and overscheduled. Many family members do things that are incompatible with each other anyway, further reducing the together-time. My daughter is not going to come to my job and work with me, and I'm not going to go to school with them.

I disagree that it's an excuse... These are commonplace activities that friends have, not necessarily excuses to talk... There's a telephone for that. That's like turning down a party invitation because you consider it a lame attempt by the invitor to be superficial towards you. Dinner isn't an excuse, it's something some friends and family do as an activity.

I also disagree that real friends can talk about anything anywhere... I think a real friend understands when it's appropriate to talk about and not talk about certain things. :wink1:
    Just a different philosophy. :D

I seem to be always hungry lately, but it's not good to eat when you're hungry. Eating habits should be self-disciplined and scheduled...that's not my opinion, that's text book for promoting a healthy diet. ..As I throw out the McDonalds hotcakes I just got cause I was a little hungry this am... :doah:

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I agree, I think it's a huge fundamental to have at least some structure and someone as an authority figure. Maybe that's a major problem with modern American out of control youth, they didn't sit down and have dinner together often enough, and/or they never developed a respect for authority...

15. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

That's kind of what I understand about the discipline thing... it's supposed to keep kids from being wild and crazy. I guess I was a strange exception to the rule. I went off on my own and didn't do anything stupid or unruly. Course, I didn't have any brothers and sisters growing up with me to argue or fight with either.

16. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I love having a daily family supper. It might be because I spent several years working second shift. (Of course that was so we didn't have to put our child in daycare) I think it's important to have that time where the family comes together and eats and talks. It is also easier to get children to try new food in a familiar setting. Heck, its easier for me to try new foods at home- if I don't like it the dog eats well & I fix a sandwich. I wouldn't call our meals formal, though. Between work, school, projects, & hobbies sometimes its a quick meal or even take-out but at least 3 days a week we are all sitting together. I would say that it carries over to when we go out to restaurants, too. If one of the kids start to act up, a little reminder that we are eating, and they normally calm down.

And fumes, you can come eat with us but your only getting soup :D Don't worry we make good soup, its nothing like J.J's special Kool-Aid...really, I promise.

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

GRARHHH GRAHHH RAGHHH! I SHALL TAKE UP A DIFFERING VIEWPOINT! BOOGEDY!

He said family type dinners, not family dinners

I don't really have a family anyway

You're also consusing my use of "can" as "can (all the time regardless of company)"

Regardless, you are a man of schedule and responsibility, I'm just me, you talk of families and rainbows, I talk of varied friendships and the incopetance of modern free radiacal people to love thier friends

Or something

SHUT UP!

Hahahahahaha

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is that a doobie in your avatar? :D

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

We almost never sit at the table to have dinner but that is because it is usually covered by one of my wifes interior design projects. We do however sit down together to eat it is just not a the dinner table usually "picnic style" on the floor.

Ira

20. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I was gonna say something about manners and family time yadda yadda, but then I figured you guys would think I was a wus, but now that Ratch has filled that void....:haha: :haha: :haha: :wink1: :p: