Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dipping

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 1983Blazerkid, Jan 30, 2007.

1. 1983Blazerkid

1983Blazerkid Registered Member

anybody ever quit chewing. ive dipped for about 3 years and i cant seem to be able to quit. anything you guys have done to quit?

2. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

Ive smoked for the past 4 years and for the past 2 weeks Ive quit. I tried dipping, and I went through a log in a week. I only did it for that week, because after my bottom gum started to turn colors I quit. Ive chewed before to and i guess it just wont me. I like getting a pinch every now and then, but I have the self control not to do it on a regular basis. Have you tried chewing Big Red gum and pinching it between your gum and cheek? Nicorette is some nasty stuff, so don't go that route.

3. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Orbit gum, pick a flavor you like and keep it with you. I dipped or chewed for about 18 years and quit cold turkey in Jun 05. Been clean ever since.:D

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, I second the gum.

5. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I took up smoking:doah:

John

6. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I smoked and dipped, it was at least twice as hard to quit dipping. You can dip anytime anywhere, you can't light up whenever you want, so that makes dipping a little more convenient and a lot harder to quit, not to mention the nicotine rush from dipping is way stronger. The good news is, once you quit dipping for a while you'll pretty much find the smell/taste repulsive and probably won't relapse. With smokes, I still occasionally light up.

What I did was went from dip to chew to lessen the nicotine rush, then to gum. It semed to work pretty well but it took about six months and I was still smoking at the time.

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Date a girl from up north...or try to...

8. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

I thought dipping was cool until I accidentally swallowed some...where's that barfing smiley?

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I started dimpping to quit smoking. Yeah that was a smart move. Dipping was way harder to stop. I agree it was so easy to do and you could do it anywhere. I used to forget about it and go to sleep.:doah:

Candy, gum, beef jerky, still hard to quit but stay at it. its worth it.

10. 1983Blazerkid

yea ive slept in with it in many times i use to be real bad can a day. ive cut back to about a can a week or so. gums hurt kinda tired of it, but at the same time i cant stop. it just really sucks. when i do decide i want to quit i normally have half a can or so, so i say after this can. yea never happens.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I used to do the same thing with smoking. One day I broke, I tore up and threw out the rest of the pack I had on me, then tore up and tossed all "emergency" cigarettes I kept in the truck and at the house. That did it, and I think since then I've had maybe 1 or 2 cigarettes, 1 sometime that week, then 1 on 9/11. I actually threw out the 9/11 one after a couple drags with a feeling like wtf did I do that...

It is helpful to have a good friend that will help you, shoot the breeze with you when you have the urges.

12. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You wanna repel pretty, classy girls? Keep up the dipping. Easiest way to remain single without much effort.

You're young enough, get some resolve and just QUIT.

13. 1983Blazerkid

already got the girl. dont bother her. probly the country in us.

14. 1983Blazerkid

on the throwing the cigs out. yea been there with dip. ive dumped almost full cans. thew cans out the window will driving went back and got them. lots of stuff like that. its just so dang expensive now. i need to start saving my money, not throwing out on that crap. but im hooked pretty good.

15. 1983Blazerkid

ive gone a few days i bought a box of orbit gum had like over 200 peices of gum kinda helped

16. iwaxmyjimmy

iwaxmyjimmy College web wheeler Premium Member

I havent smoked a cigarette in 2 weeks. Just got tired of spending my money on it.

17. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

Sun Flower Seeds. But i like to smoke and dip. Not ready to quit but i will in a couple of months when i get out of the USMC.

18. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Add up what you spend on it in a year, and see if you'd rather put that $$ towards the truck, or beer, or your girl, or something.

19. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I stopped for a couple of years once. I should have never started again... since I was free and clear of it. But I was young and thought I could dip here and there without getting hooked again. I've been dipping Copenhagen for a total of 27 years. I almost stopped when my oldest was born. I was using the patches and they helped a lot. But at Christmas my mother was in the hospital and everything and the stress pretty much killed that attempt. I have not tried to stop since then. You have to want to stop, and although I would like to "not dip" I don't really want to stop either. Sort of a "I wish I never started" but I did so here I am.

I did have a buddy that quite, using anti-depressants. He said he gradually lost interest in the snuff when he was on them (he didn't try stopping when he got on them) and he naturally just slowly dipped so litle that he finally just never went to get a new can when the last one was done. I've heard of others doing the same. Sounds much less painless than the other methods.

The A-D replace a chemical in your body, that you used to make before you started dipping. The Nic causes your body to stop making it since it's sort of replaced by the nic. The A-D will pacifiy your system, until your body can start making the chemical again.

It's hard to explain, but thats it in a nutshell.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dumb habit... your retirement, truck, health, love life and everything else that matters is in jeopardy here. Just quit.

j