Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dipstick blowing oil.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmyjack, Jun 29, 2002.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

All of a sudden my dip stick is blowing mass oil. I just did an oil change last week but I didn't overfill it. I put the dipstick back in and it did it again. ( the dipstick gets pushed out an inch or so) I had someone suggest a second PCV valve where the breather is, but I dunno about that. And the breather is CLEAN by the way. Any ideers? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Is your catalitic converter clogged? Maybe to much back pressure causing exuast to go past the rings and into oil. Good luck figuring it out.

3. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

What motor and how many miles?Is the pvc clear?Usally this is caused by blow by.Rings aren't sealing anymore.Common is higher milage engines.I have a 454 that would use 2 quarts just driving 50 miles.I put a breather in each valve cover and ran a hose from the dipstick tube to a empty quart container.This got it down to a quart every couple days.Finally lost that motor.Now it needs a rebuild.

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

You're not making me feel really confident about this situation!!!!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif It's a 350, I think it's got about 50,000 on it. It uses quite a bit of oil unfortunately but it doesn't blow smoke except when I start it. It has really high compression still, so I think the heads are the culprit as far as the oil loss goes. By the way, the cats are new(er).

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's weird on a motor with such low miles. If the PCV is clear then it almost sounds like a busted compression ring. Have you done a compression check since this started?

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I was picking a guys brain a little bit that I know from work. He was telling me an oil breather can do this as well as bad plugs. I havent checked my plugs in awhile so i'll get on that tomorrow. Wouldn't I hear a broken compression in the cylinder? My oil pressure is right on and I don't have any temp changes........ Not that I would mind getting a new motor /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif . I just don't think mama would go for it. Of course she could try to find a job til the school yr starts........ nah, that'll NEVER happen /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

7. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

How fast are you revving the motor, my brothers camaro does the samething when we do 1/4 mile runs (5000+ rpm) If you are mud or sand draggin it would explain it to me, what is the compression ratio of your motor, stock, or otherwise? The last possibility is that your dipstick has somehow gone out of calibration and you are overfilling the motor with oil. The crank shaft would be churning the oil too much and force it up out of the dipstick, make sure you are using the factory dipstick, not some cheep aftermarket one, this happened to my cousin on his j**p.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's my daily driver, stock motor, as far as I know the dip stick came with the original motor so it isn't a HELP aisle POS replacement. I don't rave it so the rpms are minimal. I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Re: Dipstick blowing oil. (update)

Holy Moly, I pulled the PCV valve and I couldn't believe the smoke billowing out of my engine. It came out of my PCV hole, the breather, the oil cap AND the dipstick!! My truck is running like a champ! What gives!!!!!! It doesnt skip, it doesn't miss, it doesn't lope.......... Although, this AM for the first time ever, it backfired thru the carb 3 times when I would step on the gas from a stop. Jeeeeeezus, any ideas? If I had a bad compression ring wouldn't I notice something obvious!!!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its running a little warm, but most engines will smoke a little when you pull the breather off the valve covers. As for the carb backfires, check your timing, it sounds a little advanced.

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It's all too sudden, And it's not a little smoke. It's like a freight train!!!!! Kind of like adjusting valves in a fresh engine. I hope I'm not over reacting, it just seems like WAAAAAY too much smoke. The only person I trust to look at it isn't around and the person I second most trust isnt either. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to talk myself into buying a new motor! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif