Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dipstick location?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1bigbob, Apr 1, 2006.

1. 1bigbob

1bigbob Registered Member

I recently bought a 89 blazer. The guy told me that it has a 350 crate motor put in 20,000 miles ago. I know this sounds stupid but I went to check the oil but there is no dipstick! It has a set of hedman headers on it. I don,t know if they got in the way of the dipstick and he plugged it or what. Where is the dipstick supposed to come out of the motor? I was always under the impression it was on the drivers side out of the oil pan but it doesn't look like there is a spot for it there. Sorry for the dumb question but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Mine is on the passenger side, 91 Burb w/350tbi.

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, they swapped sides sometime. I bought a crate motor from Chevy about ten years ago that actually has one on both sides. Had to make a oil pan gasket out of two. One old and one newer style. There is a bump in the oil pan where the dipstick goes. Should be easy to see which side yours should be on.

4. 1bigbob

Checked both sides of the pan no bump out for the dipstick. This doesn't make any sense!

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Why in the hell would someone plug up the dipstick! Freakin idiots! I would get that fixed soon.....

6. 1bigbob

I would fix it if I could find where the damn thing goes. There has to be a simple location for this.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Depends on block year.

Mine (early block) has the dipstick tube coming out of the block on the drivers side, not the pan. The pan is bulged a bit to clear, but the dipstick doesn't actually go into it.

If it is indeed a GM crate, I'd expect it to be out of the pan, but look where you expect it to be, except on the block itself. Probably a small cup plug in there.

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My '90 and '91 motors have it coming out of the block, not the pan (just like Mr.Yeager says) but on the pass. side between 6 & 8 if I remember correctly.

9. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Actually , I want to say the cutoff is 1979 , after its on the passenger side , prior its on the drivers side . I have several off each lying around my garage and yard .

Many crate engines came set up for either to accomadate any customers ride .

10. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

its gotta be there maybey some dingdong shoved a screw in it ?:confused: is it coverd with grease or mud maybey :confused: ive seen alot with the tube puleed out probably just coverd with crap