Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dipstick tube

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76JimmyinAZ, May 1, 2000.

1. 76JimmyinAZ

76JimmyinAZ Registered Member

Ok guys. You've been good to me with the techtips so far, so here's another. My BB Olds in my boat (hey, I tow it with my Jimmy!) has a broken off dipstick tube right at the block, so I can't grab hold of it. The guy who built the motor glued it in with red RTV, so there's about 4 inches of the tube in there, held in place with the RTV. Any tips on how to remove the broken piece of the tube??

High n' Dry Tahiti

Tony J.
    Mesa, AZ

ILUVMYTRUK

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The one on my 350 is a two piece!!
    One piece fits in the top part of the block hole! The second peice is insetrted fron inside the oil pan!
    I don't know how yours is just wanted to let you know it may be a two piece type..???
    good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. 76JimmyinAZ

76JimmyinAZ Registered Member

No such luck. I've already purchased the replacement, and it's one piece! There are two ribs in it, just below the point where it emerges from the block (which is where my old one broke). I assume the ribs are to hold it in place tightly, but Joe Blow the motorbuilder RTV'ed the crap out of it to boot.

ILUVMYTRUK

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmm, bummer dude! It sounds like if you can't get a grip on it from the top your gonna need to pull the pan!! [​IMG]
    Good Luck!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Try taking a long sharp awl.Tap it between the tube and the block.Should make enough room to grab it with some needle nose pliers.Then pull like hell.I'll croos my fingers for you dude.

6. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Either remove the pan ( not easy ) or buy an easy out and tap it in turn it and pull up . Turning it should break the seal and then you should be able to pull it out .

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Why not put some good epoxy to the tip of a piece of metal that fits in the hole. Wait 24hrs so it cures well, and then pull as hard as you can. I believe RTV will be weaker than the epoxy. Good luck.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Try running a tap that just fits into the tube in there a couple of threads, and then pulling with the tap.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350