Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

direct swap??????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Aug 15, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

some body on an earlier post mentioned using the rear end from a 99 or newer truck
    since it has the disc breaks. would this prevent the axle from coming out if a clip gives, and is the rear ensd a direct swap, and can i use the new 411 gears i just put in my rear end [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd check with a dealer's parts department to confirm this, but from what I've been told there is no difference between the two rearends except for the disc brakes. Same diff, same c-clip design.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

All 10 bolts, 12 bolts and 14SF's are C-clip axles... The only way to get away from the c-clip axles is to go with a D60 FF or a 14FF. I think the D60 SF is not a c-clip design though.

Or you can get a FF kit for the 10 or 12 bolt from ORD. That would do away with the c-clips!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

4. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

i figured it still had the clips, but would the caliper and rotor setup hold the axle from coming out????

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I never thought of that - Theoretically it should keep it from popping out like drum brakes allow. Good thought there!!

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it would retain the axle, but too much side load (like a sidehill off-road, or hard cornering on-road) would probably start bending the caliper bracket. But the fact that the broken axle would be retained is reason enough to swap to discs on a 10 or 12-bolt or 14SF.

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Good point.. You could just add disc to your current axle to obtain this.

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure you would have to move the spring perches and shock mounts to install a '99 or newer axle on an older style truck. You would probably also have to fab up the brake lines and parking brake cables....something that woundn't be that hard if you knew what you were doing.

Yes, rear disk brakes will retain a broken rear axle......but only enough to keep the vehicle mobile (aka pull in onto a trailer and maybe drive it off of the trail). I've seen this in person on a CJ-7 before but the caliper and brackets had been damaged by the time we made it off of the trail. It's also not safe to drive on the road because there is movement in the axle shaft.