Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Directional Tire tread

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZK5, May 22, 2002.

1. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

How do you tell wich way a tire should turn? There are no rotation arrows on these tires I have. The inner and outer lugs point 1 way and the center lugs point the other. Should they be mounted with the inner and outer lugs pointing forward or the center lugs rolling backward? or vice versa?

2. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Are they the old style Goodyear MT's?
    If so.. they aren't really directional.. if they were.. the tires would have direction of rotation arrows on them..

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Generally they will have the inner lugs in front of the outer lugs when you look at them from the top of the tire. Lets pretend they are Baja Claws, the tread will look like this when you look down on it: front of vehicle<<<<back of vehicle. does that make sense to you?

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup88/aah

Are these the ones you mean Rocko? This picture was taken form the front of the vehicle. But I have seen them mounted the other way around. And on Hummers they are mounted randomly.

5. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Yes they are Goodyear MT's. I don't know how old they are. I bought them brand new. I assume they are the old style. They sidewall says (Millitary O-Z). if that means anything. they are load range D, 45-50 PSI cold max inflation, They look like they'd be directional but the sidewall lugs look bacwards. like they would not clean themselves out spinning forward.

6. Esteban86K5

I wouldn't run them at their suggested psi. When I had mine put on, the shop inflated them to 45 and they rode ROUGH!! When I got home I dropped them to 28 and now they ride GRRRREAT!!!

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Rule of thumb for directional "looking" non-directional tires: mount same axle tires so they point the same way. If right & left sides are facing opposite, some wierd braking traits (pulling/swerving) can manifest.

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Same here---had mine at 40 ride stunk----dropped to 20 and rides like a caddy----as for the direction. right now i have them w/ the center lugs pointed down---but ive heard w/ the center lugs pointed up they grab the rocks better. We'll see.

9. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Esteban. Those are them. thats the way i have em mounted. It just looked to me like the side lugs are pointed the wrong way for cleaning themselves out. You guys ride them at around 20-25 PSI? I agree they ride pretty rough at 40 but isn't that a little low while on the street?. These are also 16.5's I was told to watch my air pressure on the street because the bead seats are not 90 degrees and they have been known to roll the beads out if tire pressure is too low not to mention improper tire wear. Have you had any adverse effects running them that low? How many miles did you get out of em? I would like to run them at lower pressures but I don't wanna ruin the sidewalls before they even get to see the trails.

10. Esteban86K5

If you were to put a much heavier truck on them then I would say Yes that is too low. But for these tires, our trucks are relatively light. When I went from 40psi to 28psi the sidewall barely changed. I have had them down to 12psi off road with no problems. Yes the bead retention isn't as good on these but it's not EXTREMELY horrible.

11. ZK5

ZK5 1/2 ton status

Really? wheelin on 12 psi? Cool. Guess I'll air down a little bit on the road and see how it does. But It's good to know I can get down to at least 15 psi on the rocks.

12. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

actually, Goodyear recommended that the outer lugs on the old MT's point forward. Why, I don't know, but that's Goodyear