Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dirt bike wanted

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Oct 23, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i'm gonna check out some back roads near my house and if i see any nice bike trails there, if there is i'd want to get a bike to take out there. i know nothing about motocross. I don't know which brands are the best, what anything means and what i want, can someone who knows about bikes write me a little "dirt bikes for dummies" post or something? also can anyone recomend me a nice bike?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not a dirt biker, but I do have something for you to think about on that subject. Around here, I see adds on TV ( Any new Honda just $29.00 a month. )If they're doing that nationally, might be worth checking out. You could check out the bikes and talk to the people there about test riding them. That way you could decide what one best fits your needs.

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im with you man..i want something to realeve some stress with my self!!

4. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stick to 4 wheels trust me!! Cost me $15,000 last year in
    medical bills alone. Fun to let out some frustrations if you can keep it on the wheels. I was competing when I got
    hurt. If you get one just don't ride over your skill level.
    I just sold mine last week. If you are going to just explore trails and not ride like I do, get a 4 stroke bike.
    If you like to jump get a 2 stroke unless your budget can afford a newer YZ 426f or 250f or CRF 450. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i just want like a honda 80 or the equivalant..nothing big or speacial. just to ride around in,..but something with a little zip to keep me from getting bored like i did on my minibike..damn that thing got old lol..im trying to sell it right now..

6. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

if you're looking at getting a trail bike i'd agree with TWISTEDJACK; you should probably get a 4-stroke. if you want a racer, then you should probably get a 2-stroke. The 4-strokes have a longer and smoother power band, so you're less likely to have to shift when slowing down for a turn, for example, and you'll have to use the clutch much less often. 2-strokes have a quick, high reving power band, and you'll have to use the clutch a lot to keep the engine in the optimum power range. 4 strokes are also a bit heavier, because it takes a larger 4-stroke engine to make as much power as a 2-stroke engine. if you want to use the engine size to compare one bikes power to another, just to make it easy, you can say that a two stroke makes about twice as much power per cubic centimeter as a four stroke. you could get started with either though, so dont worry too much about it. just keep in mind when looking for a bike that a 100 4 stroke is a kids bike, but a 125 2 stroke is a fullsized bike.

if you're looking for a used bike, check the papers or go to some races. dont concern yourself too much with the name of the bike if you're getting an old one, although i have heard bad things about the early 90's yamaha's (and very good things about the late 90's yamaha). but like i said, if you're going to buy used, like you probably should for now, look closely at the bike's condition rather than at the bike's color. try and get an idea of how well the previous owner(s) has taken care of the bike. you should try and find an experienced dirtbiker to bring with you to help you determine the condition of the bike. things to check for would be wobble in the bearings of the wheels steering and swingarm, and the condition of the chain, sprockets and tires.

And you'll have to ride it. better yet, have someone who's owned a couple bikes come along with you to ride it and listen for rattling noises and check the suspension and engine performance. new sprockets and chain can run you about 200 bucks, and new tires will be about 100 each. new piston/rings will be about 100.

just so you know, most bikes of a certain brand are always the same color. in parenthesis are the prefixes each company uses to designate their motocross line of bikes
    kawasaki (kx)- green
    yamaha (yz)- blue, older yams white and red
    honda (cr)- red/ red-orange
    suzuki (rm)- yellow
    ktm (sx)- orange, older ktms white

unless you're willing to spend more time working on the bike than riding it, you should probably go no older than mid 80's for a bike. but working on it will be inevitable. a Clymer repair manual will be a HUGE help.

look to pay around ~1000 for an old bike that needs some lovin, and ~5000 for a brand spankin new machine.