Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dirt bike?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by bad_bo_ti, May 23, 2001.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of getting me a dirt bike, dont know really what to look for, my stepbrother said he would sell me his yammaha 500 (maybe 600) dirtbike for 1500 bucks, its an 89 he said the rear end has been rebuilt and he regeared, i rode and it rides pretty nice. just dont want to get ripped off any input will help greatly.

Thanks.

P.s. it is multicolored (dont bother me i can repiant it) and it is street/dirt bike

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a dual-sport setup. Will assume 4 stroke.
    What would be your intentions with a dirt bike? All trail and no road? Or something in between?
    You should be able to find Yamaha parts easy and cheap in case it needs work.
    Assuming it is in good condition all around for that price also.
    Some other considerations:
    Tires f & r will run you $150 - $200
    Protective gear $500 - $1000, and don't even think of riding without boots helmet and gloves.
    Dirt bikes are great fun if that is what you are asking.
    Dave

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea its a four stroke, all i want it for is just off road trail use, i found a 90 cr500 for 1800 with powder coated frame and other misc. stuff, i might go for the honda. dont know really just trying to get ideas.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, the CR 500 is a fairly serious bike.
    How many years motorcycling do you have? I would stear clear of the CR 500 unless you have many years and miles.
    A modern big bore 4 stroke will perform better on trails and be much more controllable anyway.