Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dirt Cheap Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigBurban350, Jul 24, 2002.

1. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

I got a stock 84' K-5 for $250 runs and drives. I want to put a lift on it the cheapest way. Would it be safe if I relocated the spring mounts down 6 inches with some thick angle iron welded to the frame.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm gonna go ahead and say <font color="red"> NO </font color>. If you engineer it a little better than just angle iron it might be OK, but you'd be better off to yank the springs and have them rearched to get some lift. You can just use blocks in the rear to go cheap also. Add a leaves are good for a couple inches too.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Fill out your profile, so folks know where you're located. Someone in your area just may have a lift kit laying around going unused that they would part with for short money. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Yeah, fill out your profile. If you're close to me I might be able to hook you up with a used lift or at least the rear blocks.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

new front tuff country springs cost me 240 bucks
    shackle flip was free
    But it's the little nickel and dime stuff that will get you down, so save up and do it right. I needed extended brake lines at $100 and new ubolts at $60. So we're talking $400 for a 4" lift that is really good, really safe, and not all rigged up. Please dont be another driving road hazard. When you space down your hangars like that, you severly increase the side to side torque load on them. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when they break. And hopefully it's not when a carload of kids is right beside you.