Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dirt grip, or ssr's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eric22, Jun 24, 2004.

1. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

dirt grip, or ssr\'s

ive searched for parnelli jones dirt grip tires, but didnt find anything, has anyone tried them out, i was thinking of getting either them or some ssr's, its mostly for sand, dirt, and some mud (in the winter) oh btw im looking for the 35,12.5,16

thanks ahead, im tryin to order some today, so i have them soon, because this weekend the blazers going up..... i hope /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: dirt grip, or ssr\'s

I don't know much about the PJ's, but the SSR's rock /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I know the SSR's are a bit cheaper too.

I see you are in Lemoore. I'm moving there in Dec /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alot of people run the SSR's and like them. They aren't as agressive as the TSL's, so they are better on the street. They are a radial so they have a different sidewall too. I don't know of anyone that runs the Dirt Grips on here /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The SSRs seem to wear out fast. Alot of the SupurDuty and HD guys have PJ's. They are 50 bucks more, but they have a 35k mile treadwear warranty. I debated getting them but just got Radials instead.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had some 31" SSR' on his '03 2500 HD and they did real good, got excellent traction in mud and dirt (no rocks around here). He had 26,000+ miles on them with over half tread left but blew one out while driving down the highway.

6. eric22

eric22 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I see you are in Lemoore. I'm moving there in Dec /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

fer what?? navy?

ok so the differance between the tsl radial and the ssr is?? they have looked about the same to me, but you say the ssr gets better road wear? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

finnally lifing my blazer rocks!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the ssr's lugs are a little smaller, and a little closer together. Also they have a good looking sidewall (bling points) with the tighter pattern, they get better all around road manners and are quieter. I like mine.

8. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I ran the 37's and I now run 38x15.5R16s great all around tire, quiet on the road and I had the 38's for a 10hr round trip and didn't have a problem with them and they still look brand new. They need a little more spacing though for deep clay mud, which I found out the hard way is there weakness. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

[ QUOTE ]
    the ssr's lugs are a little smaller, and a little closer together. Also they have a good looking sidewall (bling points) with the tighter pattern, they get better all around road manners and are quieter. I like mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

The one on the left is a SSR, the one on the right is a RADIAL.

Isnt it the other way around? The Radials have a tighter pattern and are A LOT quiter. The SSR does have a cooler sidewall. I wonder why there still called SSR's? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The sidewall doesnt say it anymore. The SSR's are also a lot softer.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

There is also the Mickey Tompson Baja Claws.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the left one is an ssr. Look at how small the center lugs are compared to the ones on the radial. Also notice on the radial the gap between the outer lugs, SSR basically has a lug in between the two on the radial. As for the radials being quieter. Between my SSR's and a guy I knows radials. No comparison on sound lol.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

I see what you mean, I guess the outer lugs are a little closer together. The center ones are fatter, just shorter.

13. steveo

steveo Registered Member

i have a set of 36"x14.50"x15" pj's and i love them, they might be expensive, but for the quality and the way things wear, they are worth it, trhey clean out very well in mud, huge sidewall lugs for great traction. I also have a set of 37"x12.50"x16" ssr's on my 77 chevy and they bit very well they worked great when aired down, but very soft and wore very quick. with the the pj's /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I running 36x12.50x16 tsl radial swampers and there pretty good on and off road. I like them alot /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif there loud, but you'll get used to them.

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    Here's a shot of my old SSR's. 33x14.50. I liked them because I had 20,000 miles when I sold them and still had 1/2 tread. I like the PJ's also but haven't owned a set yet, they look good and supposedly last a long time.

16. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

this is an old webpage but it has some good info. i ran these out west for several years and loved them...

dirt grips

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

so half the people say ssr dont wear well and the other half say they do? kinda wierd. i was sold on the ssr's till this post, but i need to spend my money on somthing that will last for a while and still work good, it looks like i might go with the MTR's /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If the MT/R is an option I'd seriously consider going with those, or BFG/Pro Comp mud terrains.

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    so half the people say ssr dont wear well and the other half say they do? kinda wierd. i was sold on the ssr's till this post, but i need to spend my money on somthing that will last for a while and still work good, it looks like i might go with the MTR's /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't go with the MT/R, thats a rock tire. They are terrible in the mud.

As far as tire wear, it all depends on what someone thinks is fast wearing. I don't think my boggers are wearing all that fast but when my grandpa asked me how long my set of $1,100 would last and I answered he said "THATS IT!?" /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I could have managed to get 40,000 miles out of my SSR's easy and that is a lot IMHO...but I get bored with one set of tires for too long. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well living where i live most of the wheeling i do will be in the rocks(rubicon) so that works for me!!