Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dirty Job...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Aug 14, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

...Literally.

My septic tank, in a fit of over-full rage, has decided to make it's presence known within the house by regurgitating into the washing machine in the basement, causing it to overflow. Wifey is NOT pleased. Nor am I, as I had to bail nasty stinkwater out of the washer, BY HAND, until I had enough bailed out to allow me time to de-plumb the deepsink's drain pump and set it up to suck the nasty stinkwater out of the washer and pump it into my front yard. I feel oh-so-f**king whitetrash right about now...

Gotta call the s**t-sucker in the AM and get him out here pronto, 'cause this stinks. Literally and figuratively.

Losses so far:
    - One load of bath and hand towels. Easy to replace... except the big metric-sized, super-soft bath towels from Italy. Oh well...
    - About 6 sq.ft. of carpet from the basement floor that got wet with the nasty stinkwater overflow.
    - $500 or so to have the s**t-sucker come out for same-day service (they'll probably consider it an "emergency call").
    - One night's sleep (I have to run the pump every 30min. or so, to make sure the washer doesn't overflow again).
    - Whatever the co$t for the ludicrous amount of bleach I'm gonna have to use for cleanup...

Now I know how Mike Rowe feels when he's down in those sewer holes filming his shows. I coulda lived without that knowledge...
    :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think that I would just move. Sorry man.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

*puked a little im my mouth*

thats sucks

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Have a back check valve installed in the drain line to the septic. That way sh!t can only go one way.:D :D

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Got any more info about this? Link, etc.?

Thank God for small miracles... it's only water. No brown trout in the washer...

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Sorry, no link. Any plumbing supply house should be able to fix you up, though. All you need to know is what size your drain line is.:D

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Thanks so much! I'm currently (now trying) to eat lunch.:crazy:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one way ticket!..

Sorry to hear about your plumbing woes!--I've had my share with clogged pipes here,but thankfully the septic tank hasn't been problematic..we had so much rain earlier this year I thought sure it would "back up",and not perk into the leach feild..guess it'll be ok,since its been pretty dry here since then..

Guess you should have called Mike Rowe! (of "Dirty Jobs" fame!)...but he's probably sick of his job by now..
    he's ONE guy who can truly say "Man....I have a SH**** JOB!"...:haha:

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Man,,,that is just sh!tty right there, i tell ya,,,:crazy:

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Update... and a tiny rant

Well, things are working semi-normally again.

Turns out I was incorrect - I do not have a septic tank, I have a cesspool. Minor point, really... especially when it's contents are trying to get into my home. At that point, I didn't really give a flying f**k at a rolling doughnut what the proper term was.

Called a bunch of places, got someone to come out same-day but NOT consider it an "emergency call" (which woulda pushed the bill through the roof). Turns out the guy is neighbors with one of the pilots I flew with in the Corps. Small f**kin' world. Apparently, driving a s**tsucker truck pays pretty well. I never woulda guessed...

The truck itself was pretty cool (for what it is...). Nice paintjob, nice chrome & stainless trimwork, 3000gal tank, PTO-driven 1000cfm vacuum pump. I had no clue that these trucks actually draw a vacuum inside the tank to suck out whatever they're removing; I always thought they just had a big trashpump on them. To clear the hose before disconnecting it, he vacuumed a 5gal bucket of clean water through the hose - which took all of about ONE SECOND.

So after sitting overnight with a full load of heavily-bleached water on-board, the washer is running through it's second full cycle with lots of bleach (almost a gallon); the first 2 cycles last night were with lots of detergent. I was trying to follow the American Red Cross instructions for flood cleanup, and Clorox's instructions on the bleach bottles for disinfecting appliances... but I was just too damn tired last night to figure out how many gallons the washer drum holds, and how many ounces of bleach for that number of gallons... so I just said f**kit and dumped the whole jug o' bleach in. That oughtta do 'er up good...

So I found the check valves for this type of application at Lowe's last night, when we went to get the bleach. I just have to figure out exactly what combination of fittings I need to adapt the valve onto the existing piping, go fetch 'em, and install. Should be more fun... The P.O. of the house also built it himself in '46-'48 after he got back from WWII. I have nothing but respect for those guys, but I'd really like to be able to ask him "WTH were you thinking?" when it comes to the plumbing & electrical in this house. Nothing matches - I get the impression that a LOT of the stuff was scrounged from leftovers of other jobs. The home inspector said pretty much the same thing when we bought the house. It's not unsafe or anything, and it's apparently a pretty common occurrence in homes of this age in our area - it's just a PITA when it comes time to work on stuff now. Like the toilet-supply shutoff valve I'm replacing today; every other shutoff valve in the house (including the other toilet) is a compression-fitting-type valve... this one is pipe thread. What fun...