Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DIRTYROTTENMACKINFRACKIN...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TSGB, Sep 13, 2004.

1. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Started up the car last night to go to a friend's house from my girlfriend's. No dash lights. Well, it's just a couple of miles, so I take it slowly, occasionally flipping the overhead light on to make sure I'm not speeding. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I make it there without incident, and check it out the next morning. Turns out to be a blown fuse. No big deal. I replace it, figuring if it happens again, I'll get concerned. It happened again tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

But worse.

I blew my interior lights when I flicked the overhead to set my cruise control. At this point, the light smell of melting army men/plastic insulation fills the car. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Got home and looked about-- taillights are gone (except for brake lights), front running lights are shot, trunk light, and all interior lights. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I hate tearing apart dashes, so I weaseled as much gap as I could around the headlight switch area, only to find more stink, and a spring about 3-4 inches long contracted laying next to a filament looking thing. (I also found the switch itself is encased in a one-piece steel box, with just a little port to reach it.)

What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Until I get this resolved, no headlights for me!
    If I remove the fuses leading to my interior lights, will that keep them from drawing power and burning plastic?

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Oh, but wait! It gets better, but unrelated. I was cleaning my windows today, and was sitting with the passenger side door open. I looked into the front of the jamb near the hinge and the seal--

A colony of sugar ants saw fit to infest my car! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

All starting a day after I get my engine replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Never heard of such a thing as sugar ants. What do they look like?

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

they are tiny black ants that do not sting or bite but are attracted to sugar, not harmful but annoying...

5. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Huh. I don't think we have any of those little critters round these parts. Just the little red ones.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they are tiny black ants that do not sting or bite but are attracted to sugar, not harmful but annoying...

[/ QUOTE ]

We call those pissants /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

While discussion of the sugar ants rages, I drive in the early morning light, on the freeway, in a rainstorm, WITHOUT USING MY HEADLIGHTS FOR FEAR OF ELECTRICAL FIRE!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Although I did let the little buggers live... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Is your alternator voltage too high?

9. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

How can I check that?

I haven't had problems with it before Friday...

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Got home and looked about-- taillights are gone (except for brake lights
    , front running lights are shot, trunk light, and all interior lights. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All run off the headlight switch

[ QUOTE ]
    I hate tearing apart dashes, so I weaseled as much gap as I could around the headlight switch area, only to find more stink, and a spring about 3-4 inches long contracted laying next to a filament looking thing. (I also found the switch itself is encased in a one-piece steel box, with just a little port to reach it.)

What happened? /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like the filamont might have broke and caused a short or the short caused the filamont do what it did..Replace the headlight switch

That is the headlight switch..Replace it and check again..Check all the wires coming from it for cracks or cuts that could short.
    Check the wire that runs under the driverside door rubber seal that turns on the interior lights..I bet that it might have worn a hole in the insulation from (over time)stepping on it getting in and out.Should be a orange and white wire,IIRC /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Excellent call!

Tore it apart (the hard way. The Napa guy showed me the easy way!) and that filament is torn to hell.

What confused me though is that there's a pile of greenish poweder, finely ground like coca... I mean powdered sugar. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Off to pick-a-part and to get fuses.

12. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm willing to bet that the "green powder" is an accumulation of oxydized something or other that has flaked off inside the switch.......

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Actually, I'm kind of liking the look of my dash without all the plastic crap covering the workings...

14. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, a "Mad Max" dashboard has it's upsides, eh? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Maybe the sugar ants thought you left some green Kool-Aid crystals out for them? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif