Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disagreement...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Vetteman61, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Registered Member

My friend and I seem to have differeing ideas. I say every Blazer/chevy truck from at least 1987 back had the old style, two knob radios. He seems to think most of the 80's came with the big, large square shaped radios. I don't think those came out until 88 or 89.
    Also, my 87 is a Silverado package, but no pwr windows or door locks. I don't think silverado included these, as they were extra options. He thinks it's a fake silverado becuase all silverado packages came with these options.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Large radio's (two posts on the same side) did not come out until much later. '86 at the earliest, but I suspect you are right at '88. Search "dremu brochure" on google and you can research it all yourself.

Easy differentiation though. All truck radios with post on either side are analog faces. All two post radios are digital displays.

As to Silverado, it MAY have depended on year. Silverado was a trim package as I recall though, so that just means fancy decoration, not mechanical goodies.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

R/V series didn't get the square radios until 89 or so.

Dunno if PW/PL was part of the Silverado package or not. I've always tried to stay away from the optioned-out trucks... too much stuff to break IMO.

4. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

My catalogs show 1988-91 R/V dashes with the square style and 87 and prior with the old two nob system.

5. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Not where I can look in my 1987 sales book or dealers papers will check in the morning when I get home. Just hold tight I believe they came with the package

6. Vetteman61

ray-did-e-o

That's what I was thinking. There are 2 post (a knob on the left and right side of the radio) digital radios as well as analog, becuase my analog broke (knobs wouldn't move the dial anymore) so i swapped it for a 2 knob (same style as analog) digital from a suburban

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Never seen one of those, now I'm curious to what all years got them. From the rigs I've seen, it appeared GM went from analog to the large digital with no in between radios. Sounds like there was. :)

8. Vetteman61

hybrid radio

I checked out that webpage posted in this thread earlier and under 1988 (i believe it was 88) it shows a picture of one of old style/digital radios in one of the brochures.

9. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

My '88 K5 came stock with the radio which has a knob on each side but has a digital tuner (even though it didn't work when I got it). My mom's '89 Suburban had the large radio with the knobs on one side so I'm guessing that was the first year for that.

-Wes

10. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

My 88 K5 is a real deal Silverado package with MANUAL windows and MANUAL locks. They were added options even for Silverado packaged trucks. My stock radio was the large two post design with DIGITAL display.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My 87 is a Silverado with power everything and vinyl seats with auto and it had a two poster radio with digital readout. I just cut the two post metal out for my CB install.

The 80 C20 I drove in highschool had a 2 poster 8 track player:pimp:

Ira

12. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

From GM Dealer sales book for 1987:
    Silverado/Sierra Classic: (See interior and Exterior Color Selection Chart) With custom cloth or custom vinyl seats only. Includes custom steering wheel, YG3. Deluxe Molding Package, taillight and reardoor or tailgate moldings, bright front turn signal and front side marker bezels, fender nameplates, color-keyed carpeting with bright sill plates, plastic door trim panels with storage pockets and bright brushed-finish accents, visor vanity mirror, V22 Deluxe Front Appearance, dual horns, nameplate on instrument panel, U37 Cigarette Lighter, BB5 Headliner, wheel opening moldings, special insulation, B85 Bright Body Side Moldings, pillar trim panels, stowage console between front seats, floor and wheelhouse carpeting, spare tire cover and Z53 Voltmeter, Temperature and oil pressure gauges

Option Code YE9
    List Price $1073.00

SO no it did not include PW or PL!

The power windows and locks could be ordered as:
    Operating Convenience Package Includes AU3 Power Door Lock System and A31 Power Windows

Option Code ZQ2
    List Price$344.00

Radio Equipment
    AM Radio U63 $122.00
    AM/FM Radio U69 $181.00
    AM/FM Stereo Radio U58 $208.00
    AM/FM Stereo Radio with Cassette Tape UN3 $308.00
    AM/FM Stereo Radio with seek and scan, Stereo Cassette and Digital Clock, Electronically tuned UM6 $429.00

13. Vetteman61

mo-raidy-o

Well, there ya go then. Thanks for the help!