Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disarming the Gov-Loc Time Bomb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedDwarf, Nov 7, 2001.

1. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever removed the governor from a Gov-Loc to turn it into a regular limited slip? I realize there is nothing to load the clutches except the bevel cut on the spiders, but it beats having pieces of governor in your housing.

Any Gov-Loc experts here? What do you think?

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Depending on wear, just pull the Pin ! Bomb..........
    Or carfully remove the spring, and ratched lever.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

But if you remove the governor, it will not be a limited slip, it will be on open diff.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

4. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Either way, it will probably grenade on you at sometime....if you are talking about a 10bolt. Mine did at 160,000 miles, under regular driving.

One From None

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yeah, they all go out after a while. Mine went at 145K, just regular driving.

90K5

6. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It still has clutches. The governor doesn't have anything to do with the clutch pack, they work separately.

7. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

are 14bff gov-locks any stronger?

Got Dirt?

8. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
  9. Blue85

It has clutches, but they don't do anything util they are loaded. And what makes that happen? Yes, the governor, of course.

You could set it up to be permanently preloaded, but that would either lock it up all the time or would burn out the clutches, since they aren't designed to be used a lot while slipping. They are only there to provide a way to lock the side gears into the carrier without a huge sudden clunk. Kind of like a shift clutch in an automatic tranny. Real limited slip diffs have much heavier duty clutches.

Summary: Gov-lock can be converted to a spool or an open diff, but not a limited slip.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

10. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Have you actually studied the Gov-Loc, or are you just going by what you have read? In the Gov -Locs I have opened up, the governor does nothing to load the clutches; in fact it is the governor itself which slings open and wedges itself against a sharp edge attached to the carrier in order to perform the locking function. This keeps it from spinning and since it is geared off the side gears, this keeps them from spinning independantly.

Maybe I am just real dumb, but that's what I see when I look at them.
    In my experience with other guys who ran them, they also engaged with "a sudden clunk".

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Here
    www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

12. Blue85

The governor does not lock to the carrier. It is already turning with the carrier all the time anyway. The lock-up comes from the clutches locking the side spider gears to the carrier. The governor opens up and swings the lever, which turns a little cam on the sides and engages the clutches.

If that little governor was locking the whole diff, it would blow apart or strip all of it's teeth off the first time it went to engage.

13. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

With all due respect Blue, I think you are wrong. What is the purpose of the "LATCHING PLATE"(refer to diagram)? And if the cam plate was simply slowed down by the governor, how would this be phased out above 20 mph?

Above 20 mph, the latching plate gets pulled away from the governor and it can no longer be caught by the PERFECTLY MATCHING MACHINED SURFACE on the governor. If you examine one in person, you will quickly see how this works.

As to them blowing apart, well, don't they?[​IMG]

14. Blue85

I am probably not wrong, just misunderstood [​IMG]

The "latching plate" is what I was calling a lever. When the governor opens (from centrifugal force), the governor body gets "hooked" on the latching plate so that it can no longer spin freely. Since the side gears are still moving relative to each other (one wheel going faster than the other) the opened governor then turns the shaft coming out of one of it's sides and turns the cam behind one of the side gears. The cam is the whole key to the clutch load. The back of one side gear is "wavy" as is the cam. When the cam is in the nuetral position, it's waves fit exactly into the waves of the side gear (high spots into the low spots) and there is plenty of slop in the clutches so that they don't grab. Now when the cam is rotated relative to the side gear (it rotates exactly with the side gear and axleshaft except for this small relative rotation) the high part of the waves on the cam line up with the high part of the waves on the side gear so that the cam is effectively pushed backward from the side gear, putting a big load on the clutch pack and locking the side gear to the carrier.

Even locking just that one side gear is enough to lock the whole differential, because if any one of the spider gears can't rotate, none of them can.

The reason that it doesn't work above 20MPH is due to centrifugal force on the latching plate, which keeps it out of the way when the entire differential is moving rapidly. The overall differential speed can only be high if a) you are moving rapidly, b) one tire is spinning, c) both tires are spinning. Conditions a) and c) are the same as far as the differential is concerned. With the latching plate out of the way, the governor has nothing to push against to rotate the cam.

The governor works off centrifigal force also, but it is from the relative motion of the side gears (i.e. the axle shafts turning at different speeds).