Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disband the USMC??

Discussion in 'The Political Party' started by mtnman, Jun 22, 2010.

1. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

Heard a comment on Michael Savage today - Obama is planning to shut down the USMC?!?!?!?!?! :confused:

2. Big Ray

Big Ray 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Zombies on the doorstep, get rid of the pitbull??

sounds about right for these guys....

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Sounds like bull**** scare tactics to me.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

since the DHS considers all marine vets to be potential domestic terrorists, would this be a case of "creating more terrorists than you destroy"? :crazy: I say 'bring it on, Obama', try to take the Marines out. Plenty of others have tried, and I suspect he wouldn't be the last.

5. Big Ray

Big Ray 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I work on a Marine Corps air station (Cherry Point)....It ain't happening.

They're building all over, bringing in new work, hell, we have helos lined up on the fence awaiting overhaul.

Haven't had that since before 9-11.

6. scottishdave

scottishdave no-ton status :( Premium Member GMOTM Winner

People's Republic of California. -Missing the Paci
    Ha Ha...yeah buddy, oooooookay.

How many POS presidents have tried to get rid of us and failed???

Uncle Sams Misguided Children aint going anywhere, sorry Obama. Without us who would win all the wars around this joint? the girl scouts *cough* i mean Army?

7. jekbrown

yeah, but to Obama, the US "winning wars" is part of the problem. :crazy:

8. scottishdave

I dont think that the public, any political figure with common sence or even other high ranking officials from other branches with common sence will stand for it.

Even though most of these people may not understand the USMC, they are probably slightly affraid of it, Wouldnt want a Marine over for dinner and probably view us all as mindless drunken killers...The one thing i think most understand is that this country needs the Marine Corps.

Not anything against the Army, but short of all SOCOM units and the Rangers, No organization has the fighting spirit, esprit de corps, warrior mindset, killer instincts and proffesionalism BRED into them like the Marine Corps as a whole does. Even a female supply Marine on a convoy will be up on the gun just itchin to kill something. There are no jessica lynch or other stories of Marines surrendering, even the rear-echelon types will die before giving up.

A group of animals like that are an absolute neccesity to the defense of a country.

9. ChrisN

ChrisN Registered Member

Yeah, presidents have been considerin this since Christ was a Corporal.

Eventually, he is going to wanna send someone an ass kicking without permission from congress. Why the hell would you even consider disbanding the Corps? I keep thinking this guy can't get any more stupid, but then he goes and proves me wrong again!

I can see it now, a couple hundred thousand from active duty and a metric buttload of vets, all with a "new mission"!!! :usaflag: I'd like to see the SS protect him after that!

"You tell him I'm coming, and Hell's coming with me!"

10. jekbrown

met a bunch of rangers in GTMO and I was kind of underwhelmed. I was impressed with how all their gear / weapons were brand new. Other than that... :dunno: I wouldn't pick 'em over the USMC 03s.

11. scottishdave

I will be the first to admit that the aftermath of unleashing 210-ish thousand Marines who are all extremely pissed the **** off into the general public would not be a good idea for ANYONE.

If for no other reason, that should keep this form ever happening.

12. jekbrown

the most important hill the Marines could ever take would be Capitol Hill. :grin:

13. scottishdave

Yeah i am not too impressed either, I saw alot in iraq and hung out with some when i was at Ft. Benning. A ton better than regular Army infantry, but Basicaly a Marine Infantry unit with jump wings and way cooler gear. The reason i metion them is they posses a very similar pride and arogance that the Marine Corps has, They are extremely proud of who they are and what they can accomplish. They have the same "I dare someone to **** with us" and the "I wish a country would act up so we can kill some ****" Mindset that the Marine Corps has and the Army severely lacks. The gym at Benning was 90% Rangers, Marines down there for some school, Airforce PJ/CCT trainees at a school and Wives.

And even if they dont admit it or want to believe it, Most can agree this country needs groups like that.

14. jekbrown

they definitely get to go to cool skools and stuff. There have been a lot of kick ass Rangers and they have accomplished a lot of missions. I dunno, I guess I just had high expectations. They are definitely miles ahead of regular army infantry. Honestly, if any "fighting" group in the US military should be gotten rid of, it's those guys. :crazy:

For years I have advocated the idea of making the USMC pretty much fighters only. Have the navy do all the Marines pog/REMF **** so a higher percentage of the Corps could be grunts. It's not like the navy could do a worse job at being pogs. Look at how often Marine paper pushers refuse to do their jobs and get Marines the medals they deserve. :mad: It's rediculous and maddening to me that guys who should have received a bronze star (or higher) get a NAM instead because it's less work for the ****ing pogs. NAMs are a dime a dozen. ****, even I got one and there wasn't a war going on at the time!!! I know in the grand scheme of things a ribbon or medal doesn't mean all that much. Not like it's going to bring any buddies back or whatever. But god damn it, if a guy does something worthy of a commendation in combat the least the government can do is recognize the guy in an appropriate fashion.

15. scottishdave

I agree...I heard alot of Rumors and actually see some of this going on. Supposedly alot of the Rear-Echelon Mechanic work might get done by civilians and downsize the **** out of those MOS's for use in the combat arms MOS's only to fix stuff in combat situations.

The Large Admin centers almost look all Civilian now too, just a few years ago it was 99% Marines and now i go there to get something fixed and all i see are civilians.

I think it would be good...Keep all the Combat Arms, --Infantry, Recon, Arty, Engineer, Tanks, Amtracks, LAV's-- and All the supporting MOS's can be downsized and integrated into those units to perform those supprting roles in combat situations where the civlians cant go.

All the stuff that gets done in the rear can be civilian. Our 210k Marines should be 75% warfighters and 25% Direct support. All the rear echelon General support can be civlian.

I am sure there are many things to consider with an idea like this that i cannot see right now. But it sounds like a good in my head.

I am very impressed with our non-combat MOS Marines when compared to the Army ones. Ours would kill to get out there with a rifle and **** some **** up, and because of the 3 week Marine Combat Training right after BootCamp regardless of MOS, they are halfway able too. Supply Marines running thier own convoys were getting into it in the early years of Iraq all the time and eating that **** up for breakfast. They werent kicking in doors and fighting tooth'n'nail, but when everyother truck has a supply clerk or mechanic manning a crew serve profficiently and getting some with it! that sais alot about the USMC.

16. jekbrown

our admin types are definitely gonna be best in the ****, if they get in it, but the old "every Marine is a rifleman" thing I always found kind of insulting. ;)

17. scottishdave

True...Every Marine may spent weeks learning basic combat/infantry type skills and staying profficient on them throughout the year, and your average admin/supply/mechanic type Marine will generaly be far far more proficient in basic infantry skills than an Army guy of the same MOS.

And i also get the point behind the saying, makeing it known that every Marine has to some degree a very good basic understanding of basic squad/platoon level Infantry tactics and is profficient with a rifle on a KD course and combat marksmanship.

But going so far as to call him a rifleman? Even the other combat arms guys like engineer sappers, trackers, tankers, etc... do not call themselfs riflemen because last time i checked rifleman was the designation for an 11.

18. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

until someone has an actual written source for this, I think you guys might be debating something that isn't happening.

19. ThaMule

ThaMule Mursenary Premium Member

I agree custom chevy. I am big on needing proof and not just someone said so. Don't get me wrong, I am not riding the obama train, but at least have some proof so we dont look like idiots when its thrown back in our face. It just adds more fuel to the fire for the other team.

20. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree, and that is coming from the other side of the fence. I would never have called myself a "rifleman". I, and I'm sure most airwingers, walked into the recruiter's office, got offered what seamed like a boat load of cash, and said "Where do I sign?". I think we all planed of being grunts when we started.