Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brake 14BFF prop/combiation valve ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RON, Jul 4, 2001.

1. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>Somewhere I seen a link that explains the simple mod to the proportion/combination valve necessary after a disc install. Anyone bookmark it or have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I did that swap and didn't need a proportioning valve. I actually had one on hand (adjustable) when I did the conversion and ened up sending it back.

every vehicle is different, but I have yet to hear of somebody from this forum that has done the switch that had to change it.

I got the adjustable one from TSM, and if you are concerned (I'm sure would be a good idea anyway) you could have the adjustable one on hand if you did need it.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>
    Solo,
    Other than the swap itself, did you change anything on the existing brake system? How about the combo valve that is up under the radiator?

Ron

4. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

I did the swap on my Suburban and had some trouble with the rear brakes coming in too fast. I agree that the hot tip is to have an adjustable proportioning valve handy if you end up needing it.
    David

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I have the part numbers from the proportioning valve that Off Road Unlimited uses in their 14FF conversion kit. It is supposed to be valved for a four wheel disc setup. The ACDelco number is 172-1361, GM number is 1257225.

My Suburban isn't running yet, but a friend's K5 has been running ORU's kit with this valve for years now. Has always worked well, but used to lock up the rears too soon before he put in this valve.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</A>

6. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

<font color=purple>
    Robb,
    Thanks Dude and thanks to those who replied. Gonna get a price tomorrow. Yeh, that's the way the stockers work appling pressure to the rear a split second before the front. Something to do with the slop in the drum brakes.

Ron

7. wakedog

wakedog 1/2 ton status

Solo, did you use the tsm kit?? I just picked up my 14 bolt and was going to use that kit, if you did how did it work??

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

no I changed NOTHING else. However, I did not mount the calipers upside down like most so I am having custom cables made. I haven't measure them yet or ordered them, but I will have them on their way early next week.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]