Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brake conv.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85 blazer, May 30, 2004.

1. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

I recently did a rear disc conv. new everything except master cylinder and prop valve 100% bled out and it seems my rears hardly do anything I have read posts about locking up but mine feels as if the rear barely works, can the prop valve be bypassed for the rear? or is there another fix for this Thanks Frank

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You bypass the stock prop valve by putting in a manual prop valve /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

When I did my conversion I didn't have to do ANY mods to make them work differently. My brakes have never locked up, but when you lock up brakes you're not really stopping either /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif My buddy Don had nothing but probs, biggest thing was bleeding them, we would work for hours and go through qts of brake fluid. Turned out the calipers were on upside down. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif The fluid would flow into the caliper and drain right out the bleeder screw. No air bubbles or anything, just good clear fluid. ended up the resovoir never even filled up. So make sure the bleeder screws are on top of the caliper. In the end we put the left caliper on the right side and the right caliper on the left side. Stops like a champ now! Good luck, I hope it's this simple for you.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Depending on what calipers you are using (caddy in particular) you've got to make sure they are adjusted enough so they are actually gripping the rotor.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

To get full pressure from the rear unbolt the rear part (where the line for the rear brakes attach!) of the combo valve and take the spring out and put it all back together as it came out. You will then have full pressure to the rear brakes...which might be too much.

6. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

I put ona master cyl from an 85 3/4 ton pickup helped with the pedal, but now i need 1 new caliper the right side wont release, did stop better however but still not like i expected, the calipers are mounted with the bleeders in the up pos. Thanks Frank

7. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I used a proportioning valve from a '81 Corvette, plus I made the rod between the brake pedal & the master cylinder adjustable, these 2 things cured my problems.

8. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

Are the lines the same from your truck to the vette? I have a parts vette behind my garage!!!