Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disc brake conversion for 14bolt full floater

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5bodyboy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. k5bodyboy

k5bodyboy Registered Member

:confused: I am hoping to find someone w/ info on a conversion kit for 14 bolt axel. just stepped up from my destroyed 12bolt to the cool 14 but bought it with out brake hardwear. Guy told me that there is a kit out there that can be bought , but I not trying a spend a small furtune on this kit. I understand that its quite expensive. I just need the hardwear info, The dimensions of the calipor bracket what the calipors came off of and what the rotors came off of as well. I will be forever in debt to who comes up with this info .
    My truck is an 85 GMC Jimmy with a 355 motor that is producing an astounding and reliable 400 horses from a 2 bolt main, backed by Th350 and a NP 203 which will be backed by a 205 w/ the help of a doubler in the near future. The tiny ten still exhistes in the front for now but just bought a dana 60 with the army truck still attached.
    I was also wondering if 4.10's are going to be enough to turn 38's fast inough to clean them out in the mudd.
    Thankx for your time

2. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

There is lots of post about 14bff disc brake conversions on here, you will find tons of info by doing a search. I bought my caliper brackets from great lake off road, I think they were like $45, then you will need rotors from a 3/4 ton 4x4 chev front end and if you want an ebrake you can get the rear calipers from a '76-'78(Ithink,not posotive onthe years) Cadillac eldarodo. I bought some braided brake lines from street rod manufacturing but im sure you could get some rubber ones from any parts store for much cheaper, but im not sure which ones you would need, and then bend up your own hard lines. I think you can do all this for under $300. As far as turning 38's with 4.11's, as long as mud is what you are gonna do and you have 400hp i would think you will be fine, but if its just an off road truck I would go deeper yet, maybe some 4.88's. I love deep gears though :laugh:

3. k5bodyboy

k5bodyboy Registered Member

thankx

Hey man thankx for the info its just what I needed and you are right about the elderado years. But I was wondering the dimensions and hole sizes for the brackets so I can get them machined from billet. And the rotors from a 3/4 ton are 6 lugs aren't they.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Try the Black Widow brackets...they are very well done IMO. I would not bother trying to get a set machined from billet. First of all it's not necessary, secondly it'll be expensive, thirdly there are many high quality bracket kits out there already.

3/4 ton anything is 8 lug. Rotors from a 3/4 ton D44 or 10 bolt both fit the 14 bolt hub nicely.

Rene

5. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Yeah unless your a machinist and jsut want to mess around and make your own brackets I would just buy some, they are so cheap it is worth it in my opinion.

6. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've seen a guy on ebay selling the templates for the brackets. Don't remember who. I bought a set from Greatlakesoffroad then made my own templates for future trucks. ;)

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need a little help. Send me a pm with your number and I'll give you a call. We can help you out. :waytogo:

8. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

150 bucks gets u some nice brackets and spacers from ORD. Then the Wearever rotors, they will run you another 60 bucks (making sure they are 72-91 3/4T Fronts) Then you can get Bendix Calipers (from the same truck as the rotors) for maybe 40 bucks max. (im sure theres a core charge, so if u can't get a junk pair, then youre gonna bite the bullet on that one). Now, the original studs can be used, but its better to use the Dually studs as they are longer and allow for more freedom with rim choices. So there you go, for under 300 bucks, u got rear disc brakes. and you can buy the cheapy $20 pads to get you started. You'll notice that u'll need a proportioning valve to dial in the correct pressure for the rear brakes. Good Luck! :waytogo:

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Another option for the brackets is Kert at DIY4X.COM! Excellent service and awesome products!