Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc Brake Conversion HELP!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jamiemac, Jun 24, 2001.

1. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

I just converted my 14 bolt to disc. I have heard several opinions on setting them up. Do you gut the proportioning valve and thats all or do you gut the proportioning valve,buy a wilwood valve and a residual valve to hold 10psi of back pressure on the pads to keep them firm. Any help will be appreciated. And by the way the truck is a 88 GMC Jimmy.

Thanks For any help,
    jamiemac

2. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I just did this conversion. I purchased an adjustable valve from TSM, and ended up sending it back... Seems to be just about right.

I also have no changed the master cylender because this one seems to be doing quite well.

I had made plans to make both of these changes, but things worked out well enough that I haven't. At some future point I may change out the MC for a 92 1 ton with disk brakes all the way around. Another member has done this change, and he said it was a swap that went like it was made for the K5; couldn't have been easier or smoother.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

3. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i just did this on my 90' , i offed the proportioning valve and factory abs and just ran straight lines off the m.c. to the calipers, works great. but every vehichle is different so you will have to experiment around a bit with it.