Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc Brake Conversion Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Smitty, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Need a little help with a problem I've run into during my conversion. I'm in the process of putting disc brakes on my 14bff. The new rotors are for a 73 3/4 ton (As recommended by Shakerbuilt). I'm told I should be able to use the original lug studs but that's where I run into the problem. The rotors are machined to accept the head of a lug stud but the head of the lug stud is 0.10" larger than the hole (a bit too much for a pressed fit).

I went back to the parts house to see if the rotors had been packed in the wrong box but everything checked out (rotor #5523). We looked up the lug studs and they are the same as what I currently have.

Let me also say that the kit I received from Shakerbuilt is great! These are parts that didn't come with the kit.

Is there a different stud or rotor that I should be using? If so, does anyone have the numbers?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Your not limited to only a 73 3/4ton rotor for the 14FF, you can use any D44 or 10bolt rotor for the conversion. I used a 74 D44 rotor on mine and it was a perfect fit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.....I was going to suggest that you get the same rotors that I bought, which were for a '77 K20, but the part number you listed is the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I didn't have any issues when I pressed (pounded /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) my original studs back in. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Do you know if the part number for your 74 rotors was 5523?

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I think I'll hit up another parts store on Monday and check a different brand of rotor. Maybe these rotors are just cut wrong...

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Same ones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Does the head of the stud actually sit inside of a hole cut into the rotor in this photo?

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

the head is not full beneath the surface of the hole, but it is on mine fully seated and there is a gap all the way around the outside of the lug head and the diameter of the hole for the head.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the head is not full beneath the surface of the hole, but it is on mine fully seated and there is a gap all the way around the outside of the lug head and the diameter of the hole for the head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. The rotor is counterbored probably about 0.060-0.080" and the diameter of the c-bore is probably 0.100 bigger than the head of the stud.

There was a thread about this problem a while back. I don't remember what was resolved. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Did you re-use the studs from the 14bff? Wondering if I can just use studs designed for the front...

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I'll run a search to see if I can find anything. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the tech info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, i used 14FF studs for the rotors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you re-use the studs from the 14bff? Wondering if I can just use studs designed for the front...

[/ QUOTE ]

Smitty......I used the original studs from the 14BFF to hold the rotors on. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I didn't notice if the front studs were any different than the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'll run a search to see if I can find anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so you know, I bought my rotors from Autozone. Maybe their rotors will work for you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I got my rotors from Knechts Auto Parts

16. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Same here. I bought 4 of them so I could replace everything all the way around. I'm at a loss on this one... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Take the ones back that you have slated for the 14FF and have them compare those to the rest of their stock in the back(even other name brands, cause most auto parts stores carry more than 1 brand)to see if there is any that are different.

18. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well, my 3/4T 14bff studs needed replaced. The ones I bought wouldn't fully seat in the counterbore. I just had the heads of the studs I had machined down to fit...A buddy of mine has a lathe so it was just a few beers and they were all done...

Chris

19. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just called and this is the only brand they have in stock. Hopefully one of the other parts stores will have a rotor in stock. We have such a selection in thriving Altus, OK.... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I used napa #4885677 rotors. My stock studs were a little short. I went and bought 16 studs for a dually rear axle. They were long enough to use the stock nuts.