Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc Brake Conversion questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I know that this has been covered a million times, but nothing came up in my searches so I'm gonna ask these questions again.

I did the disc brake conversion months ago but the truck isn't on the road yet. I finally got around to bleeding the system today and the pedal is really mushy. The brakes stop the truck just fine, but I'd rather have a firmer pedal. I know that this has to do with the proportioning valve and possibly the master cylinder, so here are my questions.

What is the part in the proportioning valve that needs to be removed to make it work better with the rear discs? I think it's the residual valve, but I'm not positive where it is or how to get to it. Pics would be nice...

I've heard about a master cylinder that is a direct swap for the stock 1/2 ton one, I think it's out of a Corvette or something, so it's set up for rear discs already. I heard that there is one out there that will bolt right in where the stock one is, without having to change the booster or anything. Anybody got a part number so I don't have to go sifting through the parts books at the auto store again?

Thanks! </font>

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Have you looked at Grim-Reapers write up in the Bloody Knuckle?.? There are or were pics on how he modfied the prop valve....the write up is on page 5 if you haven't seen it. Here is the Clicky

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you might need a adjustable proportioning valve,also might be some air hiding in there.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I got half ton rear lines witha 3/4 ton mastercyliner when my truck drives it stops really nice and has good pedal

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Thanks Stomper, that's the artcle I was looking for. Unfortunately the pics are not working in it anymore.

I might get the adjustable prop valve, but I want to do all the free mods that I can before I go dump money into it.</font>

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I put a 1 ton MC on mine and it made a big difference in the pedal. The MC was only like $40 at Autozone.

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had the same problem. I power bled the entire system..basiclly a complete flush. The pedal feels much better than before, I might try a prop valve still. just my .02 it's a PITA to sit and bleed them, but hell it's free.

8. 45acpJr

45acpJr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shaggy.........goto the front page A-Tron write up same thing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif