Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brake conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazer_4wd, Feb 7, 2003.

1. blazer_4wd

blazer_4wd Newbie

What is requied to do a front disc brake conversion on a '70 K5 with a dana 44. The doner axle is a dana 44 out of a '76 1/2 ton chevy. And how much does it cost. And what parts do I need to buy. Would it be easyer to just swap the whole axle or just swap the disc brakes.
    Any Info will help.
    Thanks!

2. blazerboy72

blazerboy72 1/2 ton status

if you are just changing the axle i dont think you have to buy anything

3. 71blaz

71blaz Registered Member

you will need a disc brake master cylinder,proportioning valve and the right diameter tubing for the front portion of the brake system.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Swapping in the '76 D44 is a very straightforward swap. The axle will bolt right in, with no mods needed. You will probably need new brake lines because of the drums on the '70 axle. The '76 D44 will probably have a sway bar, you can swap that over, or just leave it off. Everything else should a direct swap. Good Luck!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah yuoll need to find a 71 or 72 k5 or k10 for master cylinder and combo valve, then deal with hoses and lines too

6. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

I just swapped in a complete 74 D44 in the front of my 68 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif I ended up having to buy new U-bolts and the upper spring pads that the u-bolts go threw. Seems that the early style D44 has a smaller diameter axle tubing then the 73 up models. I also plan on using the later models sway bar as soon as I find out how it should be mounted.