Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disc brake conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TWISTEDJACK, Dec 3, 2003.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have searched and can't find all of the information that I need. We have a 1970 drum brake D44 with a broken spindle. We want to swap the brakes from a 10bolt on to the D44. Are they the same from the knuckles out?? Are the stub shafts the same? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have heard that the drum brakes had a rotated bolt pattern on the outter knuckle that might cause caliper interferance. As long as you swap spindles with the stub shaft you will be fine. You will also need the wheel hubs as 10B's have larger inner wheel bearings.

3. TWISTEDJACK

I was planning on swapping the knuckles, splidles, hubs, but you are saying that I need to sway the stub shafts too?

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

RyanB ran into some problems with newer stubs fitting into his early disc brake spindles. I had always thought they would fit??? At any rate your axle came with Dana 30 sized u-joints that should be swapped out anyway. I don't think you will have a problem with any 73-up stuff being different stub wise but the 1st gen stuff might not work. I do know that the stub seals on 1st gen D44's is different from the 73-up stuff.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you use everything from the knuckles out off of the 10 bolt you will be set. But you will want upgrade your axleshafts to the 73-79 D44 inners and 77+ 10 bolt stub shafts. This will get you the larger U-joints.

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

All that work why not just find a newer axle that has disks aleady? I've got one out of my 71 but shipping would be a pain..

7. TWISTEDJACK

It is in my friend's daily driver and he broke a spindle and we looked for a d44 with 3.07's but couldn't find one.

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

damn, search on here or on 67-72chevytrucks.com

an axle out of almost any first gen will have 3.08's
    very popular ratio, and most people can't get rid of the things.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I bet you could find one between Portland and Seattle by posting a note in the PNW forum /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I bet mountainexplorer in Spokane, WA has a couple laying around as well.

10. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a complete Dana 44 6-lug axle with 3.08 gears that I pulled out of my 72 Blazer. It has disc brakes. Nothing wrong with it - I switched to 3/4 ton. It needs new ball joints and I took the flat top passenger side knuckle for cross over steering - so it has a newer knuckle - $100 and you figure out shipping and its yours - I'm in Boring Oregon (just east of Portland)