Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disc brake conversions for different Year 14b

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stoney126, Dec 14, 2005.

1. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

hi all, im looking for a disc brake conversion for my crewcab. I have been looking at ord and diy4x4, On diy4x4 it says its for 87 and below 14b FF nothing on ord.
    Basically im looking for the right kit and a step by step install for a 89 crewcab 14b ff. thanks for any info

2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

google "blackbirds" they are in WA state. I believe the difference is how the drum is mounted to the hub, it changed in 88, I believe.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The change varies there was some carryover as the change was started in 1988 but took sometime to get all of the old 14FF out of the stock. If your drums will not slide off without removing the hub and driving out the studs then DIY4X's kit will work for you. The new style 14FF allows the drum to slide off without removing the hub from the axle.

Ira

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also duel wheels are diffrent units.

5. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

tsmmfg.com kits' are pretty good. Excellent people to work with.

6. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

my 89' 1 ton 4x4 crew has the older 14ff, have to pull the hub and drive the studs out. i argued this with someone along time ago here, he kept saying me axle must not be the original in it or i was mistaken of the yr of my truck. said if it was an 89' it had the new styly 14ff where the drums come off first. my crew is a 89' and is 100% original. what a nuckle head.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Betcha the RV trucks kept the old axle even while GM put the new one into the CK's.

-- A

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

did they ever go to slip on drums? I posted pics of an exploded gov-lock from a '96 C3500 c&c not long ago, and its 14 bolt had the pressed on drums.

9. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

It all boils down to how the axle is rated. I ran into this same question on my 14b rebuild. I pulled mine off a '98 3/4 ton, and for the life of me I could not figure out why everyone said I could'nt run disc brakes. This is what I found out.

-'87 and older 3/4 and 1 ton 14b's can run discs.

-'88 and newer 3/4 ton 14b's can have a disc brake installed. I know this because I have a '98 3/4 ton 14b with discs. The 1 ton version has slide off drums and the hub is machined different, so the disc won't fit.

-Cab and Chassis and Dually 14b's won't work, no matter when.

As far as I know, this is right. So, if your truck is a 2500 regular wheelbase, you should be fine. Anything else won't work.

Al

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Does your rig have rear ABS?
    Also, I take it you have the pop-off drum style axle?
    Are you running a single rear wheel or dual rear wheel axle?

If you do not have rear ABS, are running a sinlge rear wheel axle, and you do have the pop off drum style axle, we make a bolt on kit for your application. Our price is significantly less than others out there. Also, we have a "you break it we replace it" garuantee for any parts we machine and/or manufacture.

The reason I ask about rear ABS is because we did a kit for the pop-off drum style 14BFF's in a rig that does have it. There can be some issues with getting it to work correctly with the ABS.

11. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

It is a single rear non abs, but I am unsure if the drum will pop off. I guess i need to check on that.

12. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Ditto. :thumb:

This is not correct, at least the part I highlighted bold. My 91 3500 14 bolt is basically the same as my old 76 axle with the exception of the ribbing on the center section.

This is my theory also. :wink1: