Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brake questions. help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 8, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright so I'm looking at the disc option for my 14 bolt. My axle doesn't have brakes or anything involved with that setup so I'm thinking rather than buying all that stuff at a yard might as well pick up some brackets on ebay and go disc brake. I know I use front calipers(gonna try going without ebrake and see how that works out), but what can I source rotors from? Is the brackets, rotors, and calipers all I need?(besides prop. valve).

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why bother with Ebay? Az-Kickin sells the brackets and damn near everything else for the conversion. Give em a shout, they're very helpful and friendly.

Rene

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know but I am on a budget and pennys count as always, I have 3 month window to work on the buildup. MOney I make at work is mostly going towards a trip down south in November that I am looking forward to more than any in my life. $80+ shippnig vs $40+ shipping is the way I am looking at it.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can totally understand the "budget thing", but for a little more inital outlay of cash, you get a much better product, one that you know WILL work, and lots of tech assistance from the maker. In the long run, you will get what you pay for.

My .02,
    John

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

You need rotors from a 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy front axle. Just tell the parts guy you've got an '80 K20.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hi 84 k20, I need 4 rotors... haha. 4 sets of brake pads too please. Yeah How much do you think the full drum setup would run me at the yard? seriouslly now. Its a real toss up here and i didn't budget doing the brakes into my plans(I know should alawys budget a couple hundred for who knows what, I did that but yeah now who knows what after this?)

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

will 2wd rotors and calipers work? The best local truck yard is in short supply of 8 lug front axle stuff(picked over by guys like me. They have plenty of 2wds.

8. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

The 2wd rotor/hub assemblies are one piece, they wont work. I believe, but not totally sure, that the calipers will work though. They are also the same as a half ton. You can get some new rotors at Autozone for $25/ea. I think some reman. calipers run around $10 or $13 plus the core charge. You will also be able to use the stock rear studs with the disc setup. The front brakelines for a 77 Chevette also work good to go from the hard line to the calipers. They run for about $12/ea.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks, I forgot but i have access to a 2wd 3/4 ton that I can strip so the calipers will be coming off of that. As for rotors I know those won't swap, thanks though.