Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brake shields????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Junkie, Apr 14, 2000.

1. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Ok this may be a dumb question, but can you take off the dust shields on the brakes without it doing harm or should i keep them on. It seems like the shields trap more dirt than it keeps it out. i have seen rear disc that do not have them, so what's up???

2. cocky

cocky Registered Member

On my d44 axle the tack welds broke so the sheild was rubbing on my rotor. I took mine off and haven't noticed any problems. Hope this helps.

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

When I bought my K5 one side had one and the other side didn't ?! I haven't had any problems and it makes it easy to check your rotors and brake pads.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I took mine off quite a while ago. I did for that exact reason. Mud and things were getting trapped behind there and causeing some pretty nasty things to happen. For a daily driver that never EVER sees anything but the blacktop their okay, but if you're gonna get your truck messy you might as well pull em off. Local offroad shop around here won't even put them back on a pavement pounder. Their that serious about the damage that they can do if something gets caught in there.

My $0.02

Kyle
    89K5