Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brakes for the rear? 90 Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Happy Johnson, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Happy Johnson

Happy Johnson Registered Member

Who has put disc brakes on the rear? Where did you get parts? My truck has the stock rearend. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Send 45acp a pm. I'm pretty sure he is building rear disc kits for the 1/2 ton diff's. His name is Bill and the quality of his work is absolutely amazing!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm going totally low buck on mine, using disks off a front ten bolt. Do a search, there's a lot of info on going this route. By the way, Fresno huh? Becoming quite the spot for new members coming it. I'm down the road from ya.

4. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I've seen the kits in a few auto parts magazines such as JC Whitney and a few others. I think Jegs and maybe even Scoggin-Dickey carry them. I think an entire disc brake kit for a K5 runs around 600 or 700 bucks. I've never tried to install one so I don't know how easy they go in. Hope this helps.

Matt

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I have not used 45acp's kit but I was at his shop and saw the work he did. Very high tech machine shop. I think his kits were very afordable for the conversion.

6. tRustyK5

I just got his disc kit for the 14 bolt FF today. It ran me $90 with my members discount /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also got a anti-wrap bar proto-type to test out on my Jimmy. The craftsmanship is absolutely amazing!!! Pictures will be up soon, but they won't do the piece justice!

The only other parts I need are rotors and calipers and some rubber line. I plan on a Mico lock instead of a traditional E-brake. It may not be 100% legal but it will work better than the Caddy calipers from what I've read.

Rene

7. tRustyK5

Here is Bill's kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few mock up pic's of the anti wrap bar.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rene

8. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Whoa! That looks pretty good. $90??? That's too good to be true, what else do you have to get with that?

9. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Rene.. I just installed disc brakes on my 14 bolt Saturday. I used 45acp's brackets as well. I couldn't have had an easier bolt in swap if I took it to a shop to have done.

10. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Happy Johnson, I just saw this post and wanted to clarify a couple of points. The disc conversions that people have been installing are for the 14 bolt axle @ 90.00/CK5 price. The 10/12 bolt disc brake conversions are a different story. The pictures are of the 10/12 bolt kit and I have 2 kits out being installed and proven. Grim-Reaper/Eric is working on his now and will do a write-up on it when he is done. Therobzilla/Rob has already installed his and you can ask him how he feels about it. The cost of the 10/12 bolt kit is 185.00 plus shipping on our website. CK5 members get a 10% discount if they call and ask for it. This kit includes the brackets (mild steel), spacer (stainless steel), grade 8 hardware and new rotors that have been modified to fit on the inside of the 10/12 bolt axle flange. This kit is a little more involved than the 14 bolt kit. However both Rob and Eric are finding it pretty easy to put together.

11. tRustyK5

Thanks for clarifying that Bill...I wasn't sure on the cost for the 10/12 bolt kit./forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rene

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm also using the 77 Caddie calipers with Parking brake. In the middle of the install now. Just trying to sort out the best method to get the parking brakes to work. Waiting on those parts to arrive.
    I have been driving my part guy nuts trying to find a short hose that will work instead of using the factory truck front hose. I think I have found what will work. The front hose off a 79 Chevette is nice and short and appears to have the right fittings. Hose should be in today and I'll be able to test fit it.
    I'm going to do the write up with all parts available over the counter. I was going to have some custom SS hoses fabbed but I felt for the write up it would be more helpful to use readily available parts.
    Hopefull to have this up in the members section in the next week or so. Not sure how many write ups are in line for the CK5 front page. It may be a few weeks before Steve can get it on the front page.
    I can get the write up to you to put on your ACP site as well.
    One thing with the 90 is the parking brake cable is totaly different than my 70's era trucks. Hopefully somebody with the newer set up can post how they worked out the parking brakes on those trucks.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

If you like the rotors to go on OVER the rotor, 88-up IFS rotors are good for that. I think you need to open up the center hole bit though.

14. jackedjimmy

jackedjimmy 1/2 ton status

What is a Mico lock? Isit just another name for a line lock? I too am looking for a different alternative to caddy calipers and driveline ebrakes

15. Happy Johnson

Happy Johnson Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies! I look forward to reading the ten bolt install. This is an upgrade that is necessary considering all the crazy drivers out in the road!

Nice to see all the Cali members close by. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

79 Chevette hose looks like it will work. No steel extension like the truck fronts, It's about 8 inches of rubber hose, Correct fittings on both ends so should be able to retain the stock steel line and save some work. Just need to make a little bracket to mount the line so it doesn't put any stress on the hard line. Something simple like L bracket. If you don't have a welder it could be radiator clamped to the axle tube.

17. tRustyK5

A Mico lock is similar to a line lock. You apply pressure to the brake pedal and then flip a lever. It will hold the pressure and the truck until you release the lever. I've worked at a few places that use them for E-brakes on big forklifts.

The reason they aren't legal is they aren't mechanical. If the brake system fails there is no way to engage it.

Line lock is electric isn't it?

rene

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The other problem with the line lock is that after a couple of days or weeks if you don't drive it often, the pressure will go down and you could have a rolling truck.
    It's fine for a truck used often, but if not I wouldn't advise it.

19. tRustyK5

I haven't had an e-brake for a few yaers now. I leave the truck in gear...

The Mico lock would be used for those times when I need the truck to stay put for a few minutes (on the trail etc)

Rene

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Some line locks use and electric solinoid...but the Mico system uses a lever to hydraulically lock the pressure in the lines...