Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc Brakes on 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by clubba68, Oct 8, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Can you use different calipers w/ ebrake accomidations on the 14bff and just use thinner/smaller rotors? Instead of using the 1976-78 Cadillac ElDorado calipers w/ 3/4 ton chevy rotors.
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What thinner 8 lug application disk brake rotors were you thinking of?

That's even a problem on the 6 lug setups...there aren't any (known) 6 lug rotors that are thin enough to accomodate the more commonly available (and better) disk brake calipers.

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Didn't even think about that. Just figured there probably were more applications that were smaller. Does anybody know of any?
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    That's even a problem on the 6 lug setups...there aren't any (known) 6 lug rotors that are thin enough to accomodate the more commonly available (and better) disk brake calipers.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Has anyone looked closely at the toyota/mazda/nissan truck rotors? They have the same 6 lug pattern as Chevy...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've tried, but I don't have access to a large quantity of rotors I can pull off the shelf and check.

I feel kinda bad walking into an autoparts store and having someone pull 20 different rotors down, knowing I won't be buying any. (although I have done it before, just with no luck)

Another problem is the hub diameter...too small can either be opened up or the axle hub can be turned down slightly, but too big means the hub isn't helping support the rotor. I'd rather run a stock rotor than modify the axle, more likely to need a rotor than a custom axle I figure.

If someone can find a stock application that is 10-12" in diameter, and approx. 1" thick (+ or - .1" or .2") with a useable hub diameter, I'm all ears. Toyota (I think it was) Had some solid disks in the 80's, but they are only .5" thick.