Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc brakes VS. regular brakes?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Mar 12, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Hey, I was wondering if there is any advantages/disadvantages of having disc brakes over stock brakes? I read somewhere that its better to have discs if you see alot of mud, because they clean out faster. Whats your input? And help would be great! Thanks.

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

The advantages are... they work better, there alot lighter, they clean alot better, there just as cheap to put on as rebuilding your drum set up, and there really just a better deal all the way around... what REALLY made me want them is when I picked up a 14bolt FF drum for the first time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can hose out my disc brakes without removing the tires. With the drum brakes I'd have to pull the drums off to hose them out. If I didn't the brakes were just plain scary going down the road.

The problem is that it is very costly to get an emergency brake with rear discs.

I'll never go back to drum brakes. Never.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How much does the emergancy brake cost?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Depends how you do it. Cadilac calipers can be used, you'll have to research that to see exactly how. In the late '70s there were discs in the rear of an Elderado....I'm thinking '78 or so, and those calipers are set up for discs.

Or, you could call jesse, order a flange and 1350 CV rear driveshaft and his disc brake setup, but last I checked that would run you about $800.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

One thing that most people don't do when doing a drum brake job is replace all the springs. Most manuals will tell you to replace all the springs as they stretch. So to do it properly you are replacing alot of parts. Like I said very few do that and never have trouble. To do a disc brake job properly you change the pads and your done. So, if you think about what it costs to convert don't forget to think about what it costs to do a proper brake job from there on out and compare those costs as well. Not to mention the clean out factor and cooler running brakes which means less brake fade. Disc brakes are a superior design all the way.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    One To do a disc brake job properly you change the pads and your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so!!!!!! There is hardware to be checked/replaced when you do disc brakes, too!

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so!!!!!! There is hardware to be checked/replaced when you do disc brakes, too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but very little..2 bolts that the caliper floats on come to mind and....that's all I can think of. I have completly overhauled several sets of drum brakes including my chevelle, f250, f350, and blazer. It really isn't that hard if you do it one side at a time. I've done it with a screwdriver and vice grips. But disc brakes are far easier to maintain and just work better.

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is always things to be checked of course but 99 times out of 100 all that is needed is new pads. Always look at the rubber lines and check for swelling or leaky caliper and the like. All I was pointing out is normally all that need be done is replace the pads. On the other hand when you do a drum brake job all that need be done is a whole mess more!

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

yea usually its only pads... and you can buy a rebuilt calliper(with core trade) for like $20 anyways

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    yea usually its only pads... and you can buy a rebuilt calliper(with core trade) for like $20 anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought my loaded calipers for $32 for each side (D60 front).

Included all new hardware (which on the '60 is a big deal and big expense) pads and reman calipers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Where did you get them so cheap?