Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc Brakes w/ full circle spacers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pure Insanity, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Who makes the disc swap brakets for a 14FF that have the 1 full spacer instead of the 4 spacers? I know Ive seen them but cant remember who had them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Not to step on anyones toes since all Ive seen are quality products, but Id feel better w/ full contact between the axle and the bracket.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It is Derbinator. Haven't seen him around in a while. Might want to drop him a PM.

Mike

3. Pure Insanity

Thanx for the fast reply Mike. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

No sweat Steve! Any time! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to step on anyones toes since all Ive seen are quality products, but Id feel better w/ full contact between the axle and the bracket.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only real contact will be 1/2" around the bolt holes anyway so why worry? (reaching for my :flipoff2: icon - oops! it not there. LOL) Flame suit on.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Question for You Guru's.
    Doe's the old Eaton Rear axle have the same bolt pattern, for the disc brake bracket's, as doe's the 14 bolt?

Thank's in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Just to reinforce an already existing sentiment; I have had a set of Derbinator's disc brake brackets, and I currently have a shackle flip that he made, and Bryan does AWESOME work. Outstanding quality, and he's a good guy to do business with. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Pure Insanity

Im just concerned about the spacers being able to "twist" the flange where a full circle spacer will be less likely to do so. Full contact. Only way itll twist is to take the whole flange w/ it which I dont think is very likely.

Remember I put some miles on PI and I live 1 town north of the retirement capitol of the country, Zephyrhills. (yes, where the bottled water comes from /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) We have a lot of old folks that shouldnt be on the road, are trying to kill themselves, or are just winners of the Darwin award. They have NO FEAR of pulling out in front of something that is roof high on their car to my bumpers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Hate to even think about how many times I almost rolled PI1 avoiding these trustees of modern science. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Uhh yeah, back to my point, my brakes get a workout w/ 38s and hard stopping.

And that Icon your looking for is right here.... [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Pure Insanity

I cant help you at all here Don. I dont think Ive ever done brakes on an Eaton to be honest.

10. Pure Insanity

I was gonna PM you about them to see how you liked them. I found a post that you said you had them when I was searching after I found out his screen name.

Do you happen to have a definate contact for him incase he doesnt get my PM? I may not be doing this right away but I am definately gonna be doing it soon.

My plan is to order new rotors for the front end and use the current fronts to the rear. Nuttin wrong w. them, but I may as well put all the new stuff up front. Im also going to order Sub 2wd flex lines for the front for the longer lines and use my currnet fronts for the rear. Ive thought this thru quite a bit to figure out how to do better on the front and upgrade the rear at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just hope they stop as well as the 13in drums do. I can lock them up at will at 60MPH if I can keep the freaking things adjusted. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Which BTW, the rear brakes were the problem I was having w/ PI "holding back" the other day. Strange thing is everything felt fine. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I felt the same way about the spacers. I bought the ones from Derbinator and they are quality stuff, I was very impressed. A little more expensive than some of the other ones out there, but they come with all the hardware and that oh-so-cool machined spacer. Everything is very nicely painted as well.</font>

12. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I have the brackets that Tim is refering to, (unless he has bought another set since I bought the axle from him). Ive been running them for about 6-8 months and they are great. No problems what so ever. Im running 36" TSl's and can lock up the tires easily on or off road.

13. Pure Insanity

Good so Im not alone in my thoughts on the 4 spacers. LOL! Maybe Im not describing what my concern is well enuff for someone that hasnt thought it themselves.

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My TSM brackets also have a full ring, but it's welded to the caliper bracket instead of being a separate piece. I too have often wondered if using 4 single spacers would put the bolts under more shear/twist under hard braking.

15. Pure Insanity

Do you happen to have a link to the TSM ones. Just for comparison. Im pretty set on DERBs brackets, but would like to see what else is avail. incase I dont hear back from him.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The TSMs are more than twice what Derbinator's run, IIRC. </font>

17. Pure Insanity

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> The TSMs are more than twice what Derbinator's run, IIRC. </font>

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Hmmmm maybe the 4 spacers arent that bad after all. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Hopefully DERB will check in and get my PM.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I bought mine about 10 years ago, when TSM was pretty much the only game in town. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I think I paid $120 for 'em at the time. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. Mr.Chevy4x4

Just FYI: I have bought two sets of brackets from Derb and they are top quality!

When you go to get new rotors don't go to Auto Zone. They quoted me $70 apiece on the rotors. I checked with Advance Auto Parts and they had them for $23 apiece! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Pretty big savings there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hope this helps!

Mike

20. FL84K5

FL84K5 1/2 ton status

No kidding, I got ran off Fort King on the way home from work today in the Ranger. Some old guy pulled out started pulling in my lane. I laid on the horn, he looked right at me, and kept going! The brakes locked up and I had to swerve off the road to keep from hitting him.