Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disc conv dually

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevually, Dec 20, 2006.

1. chevually

chevually Newbie

I need some help with a rear disc conv for my truck.I have a 80ish K30 dually with 14 bolt FF. I work at a auto parts/ salvage yard co. so I can get rotors and calipers but need help with mounting. TSM says their set-up will not work with dually. Any help? Thanks

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Ack. It's kinda rough, as there aren't many, if any, kits for the dually.

The likely rotors will be a later-model truck. I got rotors for a 2003 DRW 3500 Express van, IIRC.

I'm using Caddy calipers, but you could just as easily use the typical K20 fronts.

Mounting, you're on your own. I think the rotors I used are slightly larger diameter than the typical K20 rotors, so I had some wheel fitment issues even on my 16"s (damn deep dually rims :o )

I ended up brutally hacking a set of DIY4X's bolt-on disc brackets (sorry Kert!) and welding them onto a set of flanges which I'd moved to convert my SRW axle to DRW. That's my fault 'cuz I didn't start with a dually set up, and I wanted to keep the axle width down so I didn't hafta add bubble fenders.

Oh, that's another thing ... you'll need to determine the bracket mounting location yourself.

Anyway, I would get a set of weld-on brackets, rather than the bolt-ons ... somebody makes them, I believe ... but be wary of the rotor diameter.

All that said, I'd not go back ... my truck stops very well, considering it's a C30 crewcab, and I never have to deal with those gigantic drums again =))

Requisite pix:

brackets:

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/rear-disc-brackets-1.JPG

calipers set up:

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/caddy-calipers-installed-5.JPG

finished:

http://www.slosh.com/ck5/backup-lights-redux-5.JPG

-- A

3. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

PM Rooferbret. IIRC, he had a disk brake set up on his dually.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

can and chassis 14FF would've done that, and probably accepted a standard 14FF disc swap no problem.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm, a C&C is the same as an SRW, except with the dually hubs, and the flange moved in. Yes, mine would prolly have worked out, except the rotors are still an issue, unless you have like 6" spaces.

-- A

6. chevually

chevually Newbie

disc conv

Mine is a cab/chassis rear so are you saying there is a mount that will work.I would like to do this project soon as the truck is apart and after neck surgery tomorrow I will have 3 months out of work. thanks for all your input.