Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disc/disc brake swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ddawg, Jun 3, 2003.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I was just reading the article on A-tron discs written by grim. A question occurred to me: can the rear or entire disc set up be transplanted from a late model truck with four wheel disc into a k-5? Just wondering if that could get us around the whole brake bias issue. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i belive the cost of doing that would be outrageous. if you had a newer K5 with ABS then i beilve that would be the way to go to keep the ABS and all that. then you could take a few other things for proportioning and what not. i dont think the rotors are interchangeable, but im not sure.
    may be worth looking into.
    Grant

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I looked into it (not all the years, but like a 2000 model) and no, it's not a bolt on swap. You will still run into e-brake cable problems I'm sure, plus the rotor center cutout is likely different, and so on.

Worst off, the axle flange pattern is different for the caliper bracket, not sure if you could even use the stock bracket.

Later brakes are a better way to go than the Eldorado stuff, but you've gotta build something designed for the newer stuff, and no one does that I know of.