Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disc front/disc rear P-vavle for 14 bolt disco.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Jan 13, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

these folks carry what seems to be a GM style p-valve that is made for discs front and discs rear. do you think this could be another solution for our soft pedal problem after converting to rear discs? http://www.inlinetube.com/pro_valves.htm scroll down to the bottom of the page under street rod.

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

The way I solved the soft pedal was to take the little restriction plate out of the PV. This was a great temp fix, but now that is been snowing some what frequently here I have decided to get a disc/disc PV. Just too hard to control the blazer when the rear wheels lock up and send you sideways while going down a hill covered in snow or ice.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just did the rear disc conversion. I retained an unmolested PV/CV and I do not have a soft pedal or premature rear lock up. Fact is it brakes better and more controllably than it did with the 13x3.5" rear drums...

Maybe I just got lucky?

Rene

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You talking about that 5 port street rod one?
    Look at the price of that and then look at the price of the WilWood adjustable. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I bet $50 you just answered what one you would go with.
    All that Street rod 5 way does is remove the metering valve in the front circuit and put a adjustable in the rear circuit. Hmmmmm Go look at my disc write up and I tell you how to completly disable the stock CV and then put the $50 wilwood in and saver yourself about $40 (got to buy some line and a couple adaptors) because it's essentialy the same thing. I mounted mine inside so I could adjust it without having to get out to do it. It's sweet because when I'm pulling a trailer I can adjust the bias to the load I have.
    My peddle is fine now and firm. I must have had some air trapped somewhere that worked it's way out. You can barrow my double flare tool if you need it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just did the rear disc conversion. I retained an unmolested PV/CV and I do not have a soft pedal or premature rear lock up. Fact is it brakes better and more controllably than it did with the 13x3.5" rear drums...

Maybe I just got lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You got lucky but don't be surprised if one doy you end up with rear lock up. My bet is your CV is full of rust and crud from lack of maintance and it's non functional. As long as it stays non functional you will be ok. There have been a few others that were lucky at first then it went to hell.

6. tRustyK5

Time will tell Grimmy...I post up if it does change though.

Rene

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

gee hmmm grimmy i'll have to think about that one $50 or $100 thats a tough one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Same with me Rene, stock proportioning valve and 1/2 ton master cylender with perfect braking and no rear brake drag. My only difference is that I'm running hydraboost instead of a vacuum booster.

9. tRustyK5

I'm running hydro-boost and a one ton master...the vacuum booster hit the round bin when the 6.2 went in./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene