Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disc kit for LATE 14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I searched but could not find any info on this. I have a 14 bolt from an 87 1 ton that I want to do the disc conversion on. I talked to some of the guys that make the disc brackets for them but I could not get any gaurantees that they will actually work on the post 86s witht he different brakes. This means that the only kit I have found that I know will work is the god-awful expensive one from TSM (they have a different part # for 86 and later 14 bolts). What exactly are the differences that affect the disc conversion? Is it something that I can easily remedy or do I have no choice but to go with the TSM kit? Thanks for any input. </font color>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why not go with all GM parts? I know the 14 bolt used in RV chassis's is a factory disc unit...

Rene

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Evan, I believe the only difference is the length of the spacers and we have worked this out with others for their dually axels so I'm sure we can work with you and solve the problem. I will just require sending the spacers back and forth to get the right length for your axel. It is not a problem, we will work with you to solve anything needed. See the add in the "Advertising Section" for A-Tron for the K5 discount.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Evan, I have researched that info you are pondering right now and have found that while many businesses do not know the difference between the "V" and "K" series trucks, they automatically assume that ALL GM vehicles after '87 are the newer body style.

What they fail to realize are the "V" series which is the old body style much like the '87 and older.

Now for you to get brackets to fit an '87 K30, they will be the exact same as an '86 and older 14FF.

One thing changed on the '88 and newer 14FF's, but only on the "K" series, not the "V" series: the rear 14FF bearing hub.

If you have ever noticed on the newer bodied trucks, those with 14FF's, still use a bearing hub, but the drum is not on the back of the hub and held in place by press-in lug studs. The newer 14FF's have a drum that mounts on the FRONT of the bearing hub and is held to the hub by the tire/wheel combo itself.

Such drums that sit in front of the bearing hub and held in place by the wheel utilize a whole different bearing hub. These hubs WMS sit back further than the older 14FF hubs.

I can't explain this without a picture. If you were to go find someone who has an '88 or newer body style K30 truck, you can visually see the differences between the bearing hubs mounting surface where the wheels sit.

These two different bearing hubs are why many businesses are/may be confused to which years the brackets can/may work with.

As for your '87 K30 rear, the brackets that 45acp, misfit, DERBINATOR make, will work just fine for you. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

If you don't understand the bearing hub explaination, let me know and I will try to find some pictures of the two different hubs. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Rene, I hadn't even thought of trying to use factory parts fo rthe swap. I imagine it would get expeeeensive though /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Bill, thanks for the willingness to work with me, I will look for some pictures of your brackets to see what I think and get back to you when the time comes.

Wes, So basically what you are saying is that even though I hear all this stuff about the 14 bolt FF changing to the new style where the drum slides over the hub in 86, this is not true? To be honest I haven't pulled a wheel off of the axle I have, but if I do then it should be obivous which style it is, correct? Essentially, if the drum is sandwiched between the wheel and the flange on the hub, it is the new style, if the hub has to be pulled in order to get the drum off, it is the old style, right? The new style uses a different hub, and the normal conversion brackets won't work, correct? I think I confused myself more than you did. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

6. thatK30guy

Evan, you understood everything correctly. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I was worrying that I may have sounded too confusing. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif You got the right idea about everything.

Like I said before, about the "V" and "K" series, '88 and newer "K" series have the drum slid on the face of the hub and are held by the wheel.
    "V" series are press on drums via lug studs, just like all the '73 on up 14FF's.

To be absolute certain of which you have, run out real quick and take a look at the drum/hub from under the truck without removing the tire and you will be able to identify which you have. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I can't tell which one it is because the axle has on those factory solid center wheels. No holes to see through... I'll try to get a wheel yanked off this weekend so I can figure out what it is. So if only the "new" K trucks had the different axle, why does everyone always say that the axles changed in '86? Sometimes I get the feeling that Chevy just likes to confuse us on purpose. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

*EDIT* if you can tell what it has from any of these pictures then you are truly the man... But, as you can see the outside of teh drum is not visible...</font color>

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Evan, if your drum comes off like a 1/2 brake drum does you have the new "outboard" drums and axle. If you have to pull the hub to get the brake drum off, you have "inboard" drums. These are the terms they use for big rig brake drums and I think we should copy them as they discribe the difference. But then my '95 C3500 Dually has inboard brakes. What does this do for this question? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, I got that part Bruce, thanks for the clarification though/forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Is the axle on your dually a 14 bolt or a D70? I've heard they went both ways /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . Hey wait a minute, I just hijacked my own post. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif </font color>

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I always thought it was a 14B FF but now I'm going to have to check it out. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

11. thatK30guy

Evan, those pics show the 14FF to have the drums press on by lug studs.

Another way to identify the differences between the early and late bearing hubs by using your eyes: the later bearing hubs protrude out further than the earlier hubs.
    Notice how far the hub sticks out past your wheel in that picture? The later hubs stick out a little more.
    The WMS flanges are recessed further back on the later hubs than the early ones, like the 14FF in your picture.

Someone on the site sent me a picture of his bearing hubs and he was having trouble making the disc kit work as he said the brackets were making contact with the inboard side of the rotor.
    After seeing the picture of the bearing hub he had, it was quickly pointed out to him that he had the later style hubs.
    Last I knew he was trying to find some early hubs so he could use the disc brackets.
    Just can't remember who the member was though. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif If I knew, or if he reads this, he can post a picture of his later style hub for everyone to view. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Aha, tha was my problem, I thought that the hub stuck out farther on the earlier style as opposed to the later style, and mine did not appear to stick out very far at all. So, my axle appears to be the earlier style, hence any of the brackets sold here on CK5 will work for me! Huzzah! Thanks a bunch Wes, you are indeed The Man. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

13. thatK30guy

Yep, the earlier style hubs don't protrude out as far as the later ones do.

You are on the right track and will be able to use the other members brackets just as easily as any other 14FF, especially the older ones. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Wess,
    That was me who sent you that picture!!! Don't know if I still got it! The deal is, I've been working on modifing the hubs I currently have(Later style) to work with the disc brake conversions... I haven't had too much time to continue the project, but it looks like it will work! I've ground down one hub to allow the rotors to slide over them like the newer drums... If it doesn't work, I can always buy the older style hubs and swap them out... or this is at least what I decided was true. Anyways, worth a shot, and if it doesn't work, 14FF hubs are pretty common! There is really no way to get the brackets to work from what I've tried by moving the spacers! The rotor slides all the way over the mounting square the bracket mounts to, therefor it won't work unless you somehow weld them behind and that wasn't my choice to do so! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Keep asking them questions for me Shaggy, lol, my 14 is allmost in, and MisFit is gonna be sending me some brackets soon. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sorry Rob, allarantly I'm golden with mine since it has the right hubs to do an easy swap /forums/images/icons/cool.gif . Hopefully you're as lucky, if so the disc swap should be easy as pie... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif </font color>

17. uglychevyZZ4

Ive seen misfits brackets in use on a few rigs, he does good work, i have no worries /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yup, all the guys that make disc kits that are here on CK5 make good looking stuff. I'd be interested in finding out the differences between them all, but I don't want to turn anything into a "mine's better than yours" thing, so I never asked. </font color>

19. uglychevyZZ4

ive seen his on a FEW rigs, all loved them.

20. thatK30guy

Evan, have Bruce (Batmanjr) send you the pic of his bearing hub. He's the one who asked me earlier about this and we chatted a few times about the situation. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif