Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discarding the computer carb.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hi pinion, Jan 29, 2005.

1. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Upgraded fuel delivery system?????

Ok, ive been trying to trade/sell my blazer for a while now,no bites, i dont know why, but no bites. One of the reasons i wanted to sell, was because of the computer controlled carb on there. California smog law....crap. It boggs down with that system. I was told by another member (surpip) ,,it is ok to UPGRADE your fuel system with a newer 90-91 gm fuel injection system. I already have the newer 350 crate motor in there, etc. I have another vehicle that has the fuel injection , and i love it. I have too much money into it to loose seeling the thing,its like 10k already,its like im trapped. The only way out , is to go all the way. So i am contemplating the tbi fuel injection type swap to increase power. Yank that carb crap out , and use a whole different system. Even with a stock motor i could gain something. Most of you arent trapped in Ca where all this strict smog stuff is enforced. So does anybody out there know a system i can use that is ca smog legal?? Links, write ups, etc. All this stuff is confusing to me,all these systems, etc,which one to choose????? :confused: What to look for??:confused:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  2. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Also, even with the rebuilt carb, still no power,even with the new motor, rebuilt carb, new trans,6k worth of stuff, i thought that would fix it, but it diddnt fix it:confused:

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I *think* winALDL will work on that system. Any chance you have tried that, checked what the O2 sensor is doing, TPS, etc?

No offense, but if you can't diagnose this system, if you have problems with TBI you will be in the same boat. The CCC setup uses everything the TBI system does in the way of components, except the mixture control solenoid vs. two injectors.

I will agree that tuning wise the CCC system is different and requires some learning, but everything does. I guess with all it's downfalls, it's still capable of 750 or 800CFM, which TBI can't say, at least not stock. Thats a very small advantage, if even, but it is SOMETHING positive about the setup. :)

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I have fuel injection on one of my work vehicles, its just stomps all over the old carb setup. How involved is this swap? It looks im stuck with my old cheby:) Is there a formula?? Change out the computer??? Re-do all the wiring harness??? Im at the point where its worth it to just rip everything out and replace it with a newer fuel system. Similar to the 90-91s. Is it involved???

5. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

hi pinion

were in california are you located ?.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

sacotomatoes:D

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I also had the CCC setup on my '85 and hated it! I made the mistake of throwing it all in the garbage and building a 406 with headers, no EGR, a GOOD Edel perf. Q-jet. But it sits behind the shop because I can't get regestration for it from the lack of a smog certificate. :doah: In any event, it runs a hell of a whole lot better now than it ever did..... :D But anyway, that is not an option for you.

I would get the TBI setup on any Chevy pickup from 1987 to 1995 equipped with a TBI350 and th700R4 transmish. You will need the throttle body, wire harness, computer, fuel lines, and a new in tank fuel pump(that FP will be a PITA). That is all I can think of for factory parts. You will need a manifold only made by Edelbrock or Holley that is california legal and goes from a tbi bore to the early intake/head bolts.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Is It Legal????????????????????????????????????????

9. rjfguitar

Yes.....................................................

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

According to?

11. rjfguitar

:dunno: :grin: IIRC you can put a newer version of the same engine in your vehicle, but not an older version.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Not to second guess you, but dude, have you really researched this setup from the Ca. board??? You did your homework boy? :grin: Not to rub it in, but im not into twenty thousand dollar trucks not able to legally drive on the street!!!! You know someone who did this??? Legally? :confused: What and how are you basing your information by?

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

He is correct, you can upgrade your engine to a larger displacement and a newer year but you can't install a smaller engine or an older engine than the year of your vehicle. You can get a engine swap guide from your local referee station that will tell you all that.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Ok, so being it has a 350 crate goodwrench (stock) where would i go from there?The Lm1 motor i have. I bought it, and put it in. I just want to know exactly what to buy, etc. I kind of dont know where to start. :confused:

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh, and how much???

16. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I am soooooooo glad I don't live in California....somebody there needs to kick Arnie in the a@@ and get rid of these poor excuses for environmental protection rules...if you want smog protection just have a simple test for smog output, what's the deal with detailing which engines and accessories one can install, what a bueracratic mess you guys got there...

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I am not up on the latest Cal smog regulations but I know they used to allow you to upgrade a carb system to FI. IF You use a system off a newer vehicle of the same make. AND after installing the system your vehicle has to be able to meet the smog requirements of the year vehicle the system came off.

You should be able to upgrade to a TBI and meet smog requirements. May need to get an inspection of the system and a CARB sticker for it. You will have to keep the AIR pump, EGR and Cat of course.

Get a hold of these guys:affordable-fuel-injection.com
    The last time I talked to them they were trying to get a TBI system for chevys CARB approved. They sell about everything you need for the conversion.

Also http://turbocity.com can help you too. They are a Calif Company and deal with Cal's regulations. They also have TBI systems and performance stuff. They may have a CARB approved system. Or should be able to tell you how to make one legal.

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

in my stae its all smog truff for thatyear and fuel option for the vehicle. ie: t.b.i. and a.i.r. pump or t.b.i. and no a.i.r.pump on like a 1 ton. sorry for your trubles and good luck!!!!

19. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Cool, its such a PITA though, ill have to go to the board, etc,, talk with a referee, etc, ill check these guys out!!!:)