Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discolored connecting rods? Why?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Nov 15, 2005.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I pulled the motor in this truck I bought to clean it up and install new gaskets. Turns out it had a bad intake manifold gasket and had been dumping water down the heads and into the pan. There was a nice inch or so of sludge in the bottom of the oil pan. After looking at it I noticed the #1 and 2 connecting rods were discolored. They look like polished copper down at the crank end. WTF is up with that? The motor ran before I tore it down but smoked a little bit. No knocking or strange noises. It read 40 psi oil pressure and actually ran pretty good.. Does anyone know why the rods would do this and are they still good?

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They tend to turn blue when they get to hot but with the water who knows pull the cap and look at the bearings. If they look good put it back together and run it. Good pressure doesn't mean good lubrication though.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont know why they would turn a funny color like that, maybe the combination of the oil and coolant caused some weird chemical/metal effect. Maybe some wizard around here knows. But if your worried about it you can always have them magnafluxed and checked that way youll know for sure, Im sure theyre probably fine. If the journals look good the rod isnt distorted, run it.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

copper color makes me think something is up with the bearings.