Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disconnected my swaybar and DANG!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, May 26, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

what a difference!! i probably got 50-75% more front end flex now! and the ride on the street is better too! it does roll a little more in the turns but it's not scary. will the ORD discos give me the same feel on the street as completely removing it? check it out <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun07>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun07</a> the album titled no sway bar.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The ORD disco's will do the same for you. They're a good idea if you tow or whatever with your 'Burb.

Rene

3. muddysub

thanks

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

They do help..But it is not the same with it disconnected completly.. Also if you brake hard with them disconnected..you get a lot of movemant...But the ORD disconnects are worth the money...Dan

5. tRustyK5

What I meant was if the sway bar was disconnected by unbolting it would be the same as if you disconnected it with the ORD set-up. Same results...the big bonus is the sway bar connected with the ORD set-up is now 'corrected' for the lift and won't bind as much.

Rene

6. muddysub

less binding means a smoother ride? right?

7. tRustyK5

Better ride and better flex even when the sway bar is connected with the ORD disco's. I chucked my swaybar completely, mostly because the Rancho's I have are pretty stiff. I have next to no body roll or front end dive even with no sway bar. With softer front springs I'd run the disco's...

Rene

8. muddysub

my pro-comps are the same as the 4" ranchos, part # and all. (rancho makes pro-comp) so i know what you mean by stiff.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm.....tRusty....You run the same springs as I do with no sway bar? Not really any different? Hmm.....Maybe I'll go out there and chuck mine as well....There's almost no bushings left anymore anyways...../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. muddysub

do it man it's not as bad as you're expecting!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. tRustyK5

Truth be told I've towed our 21 foot trailer without my swaybar a few times. I'd pitch it in the dumpster but I plan on going with much softer front springs one day.

With the rancho's I have I found it actually rides better and handles the same without my sway bar...

Rene

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Yessir. Soooo true. Just went out and unbolted mine....I like the way it drives and handles better without it. Seems alittle more....forgiving. lol, Just another part to add to the growing pile in the garage. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

13. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Swaybars are highly over rated!!! I chucked mine long ago!! I have a 3500 pound 9.5' cabover Lance camper on my dually crewcab (10" lift, 42" Swampers) and tow an 8500 pound 28' boat with no trouble. I do not miss the worthless swaybar!!! Took em off the other two Chevy 4x4s I own also!!

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'll disconnect mine when I do my new lift.

15. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I took mine off to replace the bushings, and as an experiment left it off. That was about two months ago. With the one ton springs out back and the TC HD's up front I have some body roll if I push it (on the street and when desert running), but man is there a lot of articulation. I plan on putting it back on when I get real bored though. So probably some time by NEXT summer!

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I have the disconnects and ended up just leaving them disconnected. However when the swaybar is disconnected I get some serious death wobble, so lately I have been reconnecting it after wheeling.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how would it be if you disconected it from a stock k5?..sounds cool was wondering if i should do it to mine..i kinda wanted to wait after i get my 4" lift in...i was thinking of going with rough country for a lift? comes with the heckorthorn 8000 or 9000 shocks or something like that i think...?

Bryan-later

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

how would it be if you disconected it from a stock k5?..sounds cool was wondering if i should do it to mine..i kinda wanted to wait after i get my 4" lift in...i was thinking of going with rough country for a lift? comes with the heckorthorn 8000 or 9000 shocks or something like that i think...?

Bryan-later

19. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I had the sway bar disconnects on the K5 while it was stock, the only issue I ran into was while the sway bar was connected, even during street use, the sway bar would hit the bracket thats supposed to hold the sway bar out of the way. I bent my bracket like crazy and had to hammer it flat again. Other then that I didn't have any issues before I put the lift on.

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

really..well i think im just going to disconnect it sometime and see what its really like..put it on some ramps or something and drive it around a little like that..if i like it ill just take the whole darn thing of! lol..

Bryan-later