Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Discount Power steering cooler

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ponderingjunkman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Registered Member

I plan to use a hydro boost on my truck- as well as a diesel radiator. With the manual trans, the cooler for the auto in the donor radiator will be simply along for the ride. So the question is: Will the cooler in the 4 row diesel radiator withstand the pressure of the return(low pressure side) of the power steering-brake assist line? Will this be an effective cooler? the radiator trans cooler will be doing nothing anyway...maybe I am pondering too much. Anyway, thanks for letting me join this very cool list!! Yes, my truck is a heep, but it (hopefully) will prove worthy with the general's best drivetrain in it!!

No Replacement for Displacement

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is a good idea - hope you get a 'yes' on that.

I was thinking of upgrading to a heavier duty tranny cooler and just bypass the radiator so I could potentially do your idea also (if that is also ok to do).

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

3. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

I bought a new four row radiator from radiators.com and the guy at the local warehouse told me that the he thought the power steering return line was too high of pressure for the cooler. However, if anyone knows the pressure of the trans lines versus the pressure in the return line on power steering pump, it would be easy to figure out. I ended up just splicing into my return line on the power steering pump and plumbing the line through a perma cool trans cooler. But I have not started it up yet (will this weekend). This was done as part of swapping in the ZZ4. So, I will let you know if the perma cool cooler holds or not!!!

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

I used on old tranny cooler for my power steering cooler and it worked great.Only problem I had was when I added hydraulic assist it wouldnt bleed right but I think it was because I didnt have an added resevoir for the pump

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

it is a great idea,
    the presure will be very low on the return side as there is relatively unobstructed flow
    unobstructed flow=no pressure
    restriction causes pressure
    the return line from the factory uses a simple hose clamp

does anyone know the size and thread of the rad trans cooler fittings? normal pipe thread or ?
    how about the PS box and pump?
    I am upgrading to real hydraulic fittings and doing the cooling through the rad thing

6. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

The cooler fittings are usually inverted flare. You may have to use two fittings, I couldn't find inverted flare x barb fittings.

Never said I could spell!
    '70 K-20 San Diego, CA

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

I am going to try and find a couple of 90deg adapter fittings and use -6 hydraulic line for the entire PS system.
    overkill but I think it will look tough

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

mj, did you ever get the ps lines run through the radiator, and if so, how did it work out? I'm plumbing mine tonight, but I'm using the integral oil cooler in the diesel radiator. I'm using crimp-fitting hydraulic lines (JIC) from the box to the ram, stock pressure hoses (2, pump to hydroboost and hydroboost to box), and rubber transmission line/factory oil cooler hard line on the return.

As for the fittings: tranny is inverted flare (fuel line), ~80 and newer steering hoses are metric o-ring (I think older is inverted flare, not sure). You can buy adapters from metric o-ring to JIC at some speed shops, it is also a standard Dana Weatherhead fitting, any good hydraulic shop should be able to order it.

Pete

9. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

didnt finish that
    Our fittings cupboard didnt have the correct ones
    I have the -6 fitings for the hose but have not gone to a better stocked hydraulic shop to find the correct thread pitch
    assuming automotive vs industrial sizing the problem

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Anyone finished their project yet?