Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disgusted...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NJ SAR Guy, Jun 20, 2000.

1. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

Well, I pulled the last of the carpet in my 88 today. The front section. Besides finding two dead crabs under the carpet. (I swear I am not making this up, I took pictures and as soon as they're developed I'll post them.) I found stress fractures on the floor where the right rear side of each seat rail bolts up. Other than that, the front section of the floor is rust free. this may be the straw that broke the cammle's back for me. I'm now thinking of selling it or buying a new one and keeping this one around for parts. Nothing on it is spectacular. Beat engine, 700-R4 Tranny, NP208 t-case. Only the rear is REALY worth anything (Boyce built 14 Bolt w/ detroit locker). Problem is that I payed 5000 for a body and frame that I thouht were great a year ago. Now this and the rotted out floor in the rear. If anyone has any friendly advice, I'd love to hear it.

NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Actually this is commen for bucket seat blazer just weld it back up thtas what i did

3. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

Sounds like you had my kind of weekend. Pulled out the carpet from the back of my "new" '87 K5. Had noticed the padding was damp on one edge...turns out the whole back was drenched...wonderful :(
    At least carpet is OK enough to lay back down after taking out all the padding and no visible signs of rust :) Deal with replacement pad later. Another fine learning experience.

4. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

The stress fractures in the floor aren't that bad to fix or have fixed. As long as you still have some unrusted panels and a straight frame its worth keeping. Every problem I've run into on my blazer I've look at as a chance to upgrade. Bad 350 became a 454, the 454 ate my 1/2 ton front and rear which became a dana44 and corp14, un-lengthened bent driveline became an extended custom driveshaft, cracked top became a besttop soft top, etc. It cost money but what I've learned along the way is worth far more that the cash I've layed down.

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

When I got my 78 Blazer there was no floor in it front or rear, I'm still fixing it. But it doesn't matter, because I am fixing it for no cost out of my pocket. Just find an old hood and start cutting out new panels. It takes a little time to make panels, but you can usually find an old hood for next to nothing.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://jeff427.coloradok5.com

6. That's the same thing that happened to me. I thought the carpet was damp so I pulled it up. The padding was soaked underneath and smelled horrible. I put the carpet back down for now. I think I am gonna put Herculiner or something like it down in the bed under the carpet.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hah, reminds me of when I first bought my truck. Holes in the floor everywhere. You can get quarter or half floor boards from JCW or LMC and weld them in. Then Durabak or Herculiner the whole interior. That's what I did. I put padding and carpet back over it too, so it looks more cozy inside. Good luck.
    Boss