Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DISH vs Direct TV

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Oct 6, 2005.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I'm in the market for a satellite TV system. I can get either of these in my area, but there seems to be widely varying opinions as to which service is better. I currently have SBC local, long distance and DSL. If I get DISH from SBC, I can save a whopping $4/mo., but I believe that would be negated because I understand there is a charge for local channels.

I have noticed that most people in my hood are using Direct TV.

I already own a Tivo which I have paid for for life, so I would like to be able to get this working with whatever system I purchase.

What are you guys using and what do you like best? Thanks!

2. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use Directv. Not because I feel one is better than the other, I know people that love one and hate the other and vice versa. I keep it strictly for the NFL Sunday Ticket. I haven't lived in my favorite teams (Go Chargers!!) market for many years, so Sunday ticket is my hook up.

3. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

Directv, I am on the West coast and get to watch every thing at Eastern times....3 hrs early :D Man i love that :rolleyes:

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

we used to have dish network, but it is a piece of crap. the channels would go out at random times, and any hint of a cloud would knock it out.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm on cable.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Used to have direct but anytime it got cloudy or rained it would sh!t the bed. Switched to dish and zero problems with it not to mention lower cost.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

DISH!

I had direct for 10 years. I wish I would have switched sooner. It would be too much to type... but I would never go back to direct. I'll go to rabbit ears first. No problems at all with rain either, unless it's a major storm.. then the signal does get a little goofy. But, direct went out with just a normal shower.

8. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well over the summer i installed satallite systems for both dish and direct tv and id have to say that the dish network system is a bit better then direct tv. Not only is it cheaper...you get the local channels and its only a buck per channel... and they also have the NFL tikcet aswell :wink1:

Orange jimmy.. clouds actually have no way of interfering with the reception :p: Call dish network and ask for a service call and say that you need your dish re-peaked... has nothing to do with dish network... direct tv would do the same lol ;) Those dishes act like wind catchers and they are usually mounted right in the windiest spot of the house it seems :doah: Trust me ive had the "if a cloud gets in the way it goes out" speech before lol... re-peaked the customers dish and it was all fine :D

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I had direct for about three years.. I hated the cutomer service.. I switched to dish. They have one more outdoor channel than direct doesn't have. I can't remember witch one right now. I have never had a problem with them our there service. I have the DVR with them. I don't now if they support TIVO. The only thing I don't like about dish is if you down grade the service.. Say if you take HBO off. They charge you $5.00. But if you upgrade. They don't charge you. Also when I upgraded to the DVR.. The first unit worked for about a week.. The the hard drive went out. They sent a second unit overnight at there cost and knocked 1/2 off that months bill for me having to install it twice.. I didn't even ask for that.. They just gave it to me and said they where sorry for sending out a bad unit.. The second one has worked fine for the last 6 months.. Plus if you go with dishnetwork I'll give you a card to use and I'll get $5.00 knocked of my bill for the next year.. :D

10. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I lived in Pollock Pines, I had DirecTV. Absolutely loved it. Only times the signal would be interrupted would be in a heavy snowstorm. The price was great, too. 225 channels for 3 dollars per month less than the price of basic cable($43.00 per month for satellite and $46.00 per month for basic cable). Plus, with living on the west coast and having satellite, most of the channels have the scheduling 3 hours ahead of cable, which helped out alot. Couldn't beat that at all. But, I was forced to move out of that house because of my former landlord's stupidity(won't go there now) and where I'm living at now is in an apartment complex that doesn't allow the dish. Now, I'm stuck with Comcast digital cable which is $96.00 a month in addition to the $50.00 a month high speed internet bill. The high speed internet is great, but the cable TV sucks because there is alot of channels that I like that is not available on digital cable. But, due to popular demand, on July 15 of this year, Comcast finally added the DIY network to its channel lineup, so that helps a little. As far as I know, your TiVo box won't work with the satellite setup. You'll have to get the DVR box which is an upgrade to the package that you choose when you order your setup. I hope this helps!

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

the signal shouldnt be affected to much with the inclamate weather with either one. its a matter of how its set up and receiver sensitivity. i use the network (sbc too) and i like it just fine. but then again i can fix my own issues and retract satilites 'n stuff without them coming out and charging me for the house call. here in so cal it works well to have em since no real fowl weather.

go for the savings IMO

12. txfiremank5

I got several channels I didn't have with direct.

DIY ( wife likes it, and I find something iteresting here and there)
    Boomerang (kiddos love it, and me too :D )
    Outdoor ch (hey, it's got 4wheeler tv .. nuff said)

All of which direct wanted to charge me more for, on top of already paying more than I do now for dish. Plus, with dish, I get DVR... which again, direct want's more money for.

13. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everyone!

Unless someone can come up with a really compelling argument to sway me, it looks like I'm prolly gonna go against the consensus here and go with Direct TV.

Reason no. 1 = local channels are no extra charge
    Reason no. 2 = I can keep my TiVo (Dish makes you purchase their DVR) and I've already spent $300 on a TiVo subscription
    Reason no. 3 = Their customer support person was friendlier

I still have research to do, but no matter what I end up with I'm canceling my cable service! They definitely suck donkey genitalia :doah:

14. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Had direct, went to dish and love it.

I got tired of DTV's price going up a few cents each month, plus I'm getting 60 channels more than direct for $5/mo cheaper with Dish. I wish I would have got a DVR though :doah: Storms are were/are non-issue with both companies for me... bad T-storms will interrupt it, but thats the worst of it.

Mike

15. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Actually direct tv has yet to come out with locals :wink1:

16. txfiremank5

Aint that just like a woman! :doah:

Just kiddin' .. hope you like it. :thumb:

When I first got direct tv, I lived out in the middle of freakin' BFE ... no cable even close .. air ant. .. forget about it, unless you like static. Heck, there wasn't even phone lines .. I had to get a cell phone just to have a phone. So, I get a sat receiver.. it was 10 years ago, when they were new, and like all things new.. it cost me a bunch. But hey, I had TV now ... :woot: I pay direct for my programing and everything goes fine for years. I move back home, and keep my sat dish, and direct. But, in transit, my receiver craps out .. so I get a new one, and continue on. A few years go by .. kaput, it dies. So, needing a new sat rec. I call direct. Remember now, I bought my first one for big bucks... and my second, I paid about 100 for. Direct gave me nothing but programing. So, I ask them, "I've been a loyal customer for almost 10 years .. is there anyway I can get a new receiver since mine just crapped out?" They say it will cost 100 bucks. I tell them a new, unknown customer can get it for nothing, and only pay for programing. He informs me, I'm not a new customer... yeah, no **** Sherlock. So, after going around the marberry bush with him for a while .. I hang up. The next day I call direct again. I tell them that I have checked out DISH TV's services, and think it's a better deal. He lies and tell me things that I know are not true... I ignore them, knowing that's pretty standard. I tell him .. "what are you willing to do to keep my buisness?" He says he can sell me the receiver for 50 bucks. I ask what happens if it goes out in 3 years... he tells me I can have the honor of paying another 50 bucks, if not 100. I tell him, I can get that from DISH, with more channels, and if it ****s the bed, they'll replace it. He says that's the best they can do .. take it or leave it. I left it, sister.

When I called to cancel my programing, they asked why I was leaving.. and then had the nerve to say that I should have given them a chance to keep me as a customer. :haha: **** EM ... I've been extremly happier with DISH... almost no interuptions .... DVR at no extra cost ... more channels. Oh, and direct didn't like my phone connection.. so if I wanted a pay-per-view, I had to call them up .. and it costs me another 1.00 or .50 cents or something, on top of the movie price... :crazy: :mad: I have no problems getting pay-per on DISH ... yet have the exact same phone line. Freakin' scammers! Another thing ... I was always charged extra for my local channels, and for the extra receiver in my bedroom.

I sure hope you have better service with them than I did. I understand about the tivo ... but that aside, I'd go with DISH. Good luck! :thumb: