Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Disk brake conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Moose, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever don Derbinators disk brake conversion and used 15" wheels? I started mine las night got the brakets on and rotors but didn't have time too finish so I bolted my wheel on. My cousin started lookin at it and said he doesn't think I can run my 15" wheels and tires anymore. Help please.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can grind a little off the calipers if they are hitting the rim/wheel weights. You can't grind as much off them as a D60 Caliper, but can be ground a little. Weird thing is, if the fronts fit, the rears should too as they use the same/similar rotors and calipers.

3. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i had to grind just a little bit on mine, but not nearly as much as i did when i converted to 8 lug up front. brackets are top notch im very happy, the only thing is that i need a adjustable proportioning valve for the rear because they lock up to fast /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    in the picture you can see the rust (still need to paint it) from were i had to grind just basically the casting stuff

[​IMG]

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i used misfits and had to grid a the seams off the caddy calipers, very minimal.

ARQ.

5. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

WOW Thanks guys Makes me feal alot better. Impex thanks for the pic also. Give me a call some time at the shop If I'm not there my cousin is he is building custom bumpers etc full time there now but I would love to check out your truck. Later.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Isn't there a prop. valve "mod" that is supposed to alleviate that problem without needing to go adjustable?

I just thought I recall something being mentioned about taking the valve out or something...IIRC, the Impala SS (newer RWD ones) people do that mod sometimes as well...just mention the Impala folks because you might be able to dig up some info on the mod with that.