Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

disk brake upgrade?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Steve_87K5, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got twin Dexter 5600 lb axles w/12" x 2.5" electric drums (trailer tagged as 9800 lbs GVW). I service the brakes a lot but there is always some problem.

I'll make the brackets, add the calipers and do whatever machining is needed to mount rotors.

But its the electric to hydraulic servo I'm pondering.
    (assume keeping the electronic brake controller now in use)

Thought experiment: use a common vacuum over hydraulic servo. Add a 12VDC vacuum pump to provide vac source. Find a PWM vacuum valve, which would likely be an off the shelf emissions part. Adapt the PWM output from the electronic brake controller, to the vacuum valve, so the valve sees a proper signal.

For emergency stop, have a 2nd dedicated hydraulic master cyl with a big pinned spring and a pullout wire on the pin.

Ideas?????

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Not necessary to do all that. I think Northern has a kit to convert them over to disc fairly reasonably. I will see if I can find it and post a link this evening when I get time.

John

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Here's an actuator for disc brakes. It's the only one I could find that ran off of the electric signal from the truck.

BIGJ

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the link and reference to Northern Tool. I was in their Raleigh store and looked at the disk kit. That BrakeRite electric-hydraulic is exactly what I need. I'd like to see one. The controller plus 4 disks would come to $1100 without the plumbing. ouch.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Why not put a surge tongue with those disks? I've been thinking of doing it to my camper. Mine only weighs 5K though.